A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

How is the leg room in the back seat as I am think about getting an 04 S4 but need

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the leg room in the back seat as I am think about getting an 04 S4 but need

to be able to fit 2 adults in the back seat from time to time for maybe rides up to 1 hr. I want the V8 with a stick so the S4 is my only option but I am concerned about the possible lack of usable back seats. I don't need a limo but I do not want friends to be uncomfortable back there. Any input is appreciated as I don't want to have to get the A6 with the 2.7 engine to get adequate backseat room. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:16 AM

Default enough room for my girlfriend and I to "break it in"...

seriously though, I transfer many passengers in my car w/ adequate comfort. My roommate is 6'1, my brother is 6'0, and my girlfriend is 5'11. All have ridden in the back seat w/ no complaints.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wow.. you've got a tall

girlfriend. I'm 6'0 and I find the room in the back adequate as well. There is only slightly more room than the B5. But if I do have someone sitting behind me, I do have to move up a little to give them a little leg room.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:23 AM

make your friends walk, before you get an A6 over an S4 :-D
Old 02-20-2003, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I drive clients around occasionally and it works just fine.

Usually they are interested in the car and by just putting the front seats up a bit they have plenty of room. Definetly not uncomfortable. I hope by next ride is a 04 S4 because I also want the V8 with a manual, that is still somewhat nimble compared to a A6 etc.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:24 AM

Default I am 6' tall and I can....

I can fit comfortably in the back seat. I would not want to be back there and drive across the country, but an hour is no problem. However, that does mean that the front seat adjustments must be set mid range in their travel. If the front seats are all the way back with the seat backs slightly reclined, knee room is tight. But again, for a one hour trip, four adults can ride comfortably with the proper seat adjustments.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I went from an A6 to an S4 (B5) . . .

it is an S4 Avant but that does not increase rear leg room. The B6 S4 will have slightly more leg room in the rear but a slightly taller lift out (height you need to lift your foot over the lower door frame support).

The A6 is roomy by comparison but realistically if room is the primary need in the back seat there are many "roomier" cars than the A6. Your scenario is similar to what mine is/was, in that you only need back seat room on occasion. I have put two full size adults in the back of the S4 for drives up to 2 hours and they have been fine.

It is a compromise however because you and the front seat passenger need to move your seats up to give adequate room. The frustrating thing about the A6 is that I purchased it with the rear seat room/comfort being a consideration. I rarely took advantage of the room and found that my most common rear seat passengers were children (son,nieces,nephews). The S4 is more than adequate for that and the A6 was like a playground.

We have a B6 A4 and the same adults that ride in my B5 S4 find the A4 more comfortable. Its anecdotal but it is still their perception. If they "feel" more room they "feel" more comfortable. There are many more variables that make the B6 A4 (and by extension the B6 S4) more comfortable. The knee cutouts on the front seatbacks, the fractionally greater foot room, the rear seatback angle, the bottom cushion design and support, the body shape, and the interior layout all add up to a more comfortable rear seat environment.

In summary, I would vote for the S4 simply because your compromise will most likely frustrate more and more as time passes. Everytime you want the manual and suffice with the tip (not that the tip is bad per se) you will look at the empty back seat and grit your teeth.

BTW, I'm switching to the B6 S4 Avant 6M next year (if the RS4 does not get announced for '05).

My .02 + a 1/2.

Bri