A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Interesting article: Do we really need all wheel drive, aka "Quattro" ? - I Think so!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting article: Do we really need all wheel drive, aka "Quattro" ? - I Think so!!!

<ul><li><a href="http://autos.msn.com/advice/standardart.aspx?contentid=4021835&amp;src=News&am p;brand=volvo">http://autos.msn.com/advice/standardart.aspx?contentid=4021835&amp;src=News&am p;brand=volvo</a</li></ul>
Old 03-26-2003, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I totally agree!
Old 03-26-2003, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "You" or "We" might; "Everyone" doesn't...

"Indeed, Wes Brown, consultant at auto research firm Nextrend in Thousand Oaks, Calif., said "we have seen these idiots flying by" in their four-wheel-drive vehicles, oblivious to the road conditions. "If they hit a patch of ice, well, ice is ice," and there's no traction for wheels that are on slick ice, he said." - excerpt from article.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This MSN writer needs to be more thorough in her research...

She didn't even know the difference between all-wheel drive and four wheel drive! And she's supposed to be the expert giving advice? I think not.

There's a really good article about the history of it all that someone linked to in another post. I've included it here in case some of you might have missed it. It's a little dated but makes for a very informative and interesting read...<ul><li><a href="http://home.attbi.com/~eliot_www/awd.html">Intro to All-Wheel Drive</a></li></ul>
Old 03-26-2003, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi Magazine also notes that cornering grip is doubled with AWD.

They show force vectors on all four wheels and point out that in cornering, the magnitude of the force vector is about half of that for a two-wheel drive car. This means for a given speed we use half the tire grip that a 2 wheel drive car uses. This means much higher cornering limits.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:56 PM

Default I live for quattro...plus if it wasn't as good as we all know it is... then why is bmw,volvo,mercede

z all getting into the mix. Even Lambos have all wheel drive.

I don't care what kind of traction control a 2 wheel drive car has, I made the tire slip in a bmw 325i(my second car) from a puddle at a red light.

The quattro is solid... never felt any give on the car even though one of the tires slipped.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:37 PM

Default Coming from quattro to front-trac, I wish I had quattro`

Traction control engages quite often, on dry pavement, with the CVT and front-trak. On my A6 4.2, with a lot more power and quattro, I don't ever recall the traction control engaging. It felt much more planted in any condition than the front-trak. Also tracked better, which isn't even mentioned in the article. It has always made inate sense to me that higher power especially is better controlled when delivered through four wheels rather than two. When Audi puts quattro with the CVT I'll trade my A4 for that quickly.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Joe public doesn't NEED it. &lt;period&gt; Read the article - it's marketing.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, but hopefully you don't drive on city streets like that where it makes a difference.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am glad that they mention that snow tires are more important than AWD, most people miss it

Quick Reply: Interesting article: Do we really need all wheel drive, aka "Quattro" ? - I Think so!!!