A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Koni Shocks Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Shocks Adjustment

Im running Koni Shocks with H&R springs. i bought thi setup off a friend and he set the shocks at 6, the stiffest. I am looking for the softest ride possible Anyone reccomend me a setting? im assuming all shocks at 1 setting would be too soft. i want factory sport suspension ride. thank you
Old 05-25-2003, 10:10 PM

Default hey man, i m interested in koni yellows, how do u adjust them? i see ppl doing it under the hood

but someone said u gotta take it out?
after taking it out, do u required another alignment...?
Old 05-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Former Vendor

Default They must be removed.

On the B5 and 8E platforms, the shocks must be completely removed to make the adjustment.

Some vehicles do allow adjustments without removing them, like some VW's and BMW's.

Since it's a complete re-installation, an alignment would be recommended.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:20 AM

man, that's useless then since i cant adjust it by run to run
Old 05-26-2003, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That is the exact reason I recommend Bilstein.

Bilstein Gas shocks over Koni Oil any day. And the Bilstein's ride very smooth. If you think the Koni's are rough now - wait for the cold weather - even worse.

Most people never find the "best" setting with the Koni's. Now you need to pull everything apart to adjust them.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yup, see my LONG post on page 3 on the very topic

Koni adjustables are a waste of time for our cars since you can't adjust them!
Old 05-26-2003, 04:49 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default While I agree with you on the adjustability issue...

Overall, I find my Koni built shocks MUCH more fluid than the Bilstein derived designs I have tried in the past (H&R S4 and A4 coilovers, as well as Bilstein A4 shocks). The bilsteins started out smooth, but the A4 shocks in particular, became notably harsher as I approached 20K miles. I thought it was in my head until I had a drive in a car with new Bilsteins...a world of difference.

I've had a stasis kit in my car over the winter months, and the cold weather has not significantly altered their performance. 10 minutes of driving seems to get the shocks up to normal temps. I've driven the car in -15 degree weather over the winter (which was about the only time it took a full 10 minutes for the shocks to come up to temp). Even when the shocks were dead cold, the ride was very acceptable. If I had a non-enthusiast in my car, I doubt they would have been able to tell the difference between cold and warm shocks.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not to contradict you but your STaSIS modified Konis are just that....

Modified, nothing to do with the standard Koni that comes in the original Koni coilover. STaSIS put a lot of time and R&D to get the valving to give a smooth ride while being able to work with stiffer linear rate springs. The operational range tweaked into the valving is alot wider then the standard Konis.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:17 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Stasis puts their time and R&D into developing the correct rebound and compression curves.

Their shocks are built to have "wide band" adjustability (fancy term for an adjustment **** that affects the shock dampening over a greater span of piston speeds), but otherwise, I've not been told that the shocks they sell me are a revolutionary new design not offered by Koni.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with you, poor wording on my part but this would still affect the ride quality.....

And depending on which Koni shock they sold you (they do offer different Koni shocks with their suspension kits)the adjustments can be either at the top only or at the bottom and top of the shock, seperate rebound and compression adjustments. Just curious, do you have the adjustment at the top of the shock and if so did you drill a small hole in the top of the tower to get access to it?

Quick Reply: Koni Shocks Adjustment