A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Living proof that you shouldn't drive on sport pkg tires in the snow (I just curbed 2 wheels)...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living proof that you shouldn't drive on sport pkg tires in the snow (I just curbed 2 wheels)...

That's right folks. I believe I take the honor of being the first baffoon to get caught with his pants down, attempting to drive on the sport pkg tires in bad weather. I actually made it all the way home to my apartment complex and did the damage in my own driveway (so angry)!

Unfortunately, I stood very little chance, even with snow tires, in this instance. I was taking a left into my driveway, crossing traffic, so I was at a complete stop at the top of the hill, waiting to make my turn. When I did, I knew it was bad so I kept it in 1st gear and crawled into the driveway at 3-4 mph. As soon as I was off the road, all four wheels locked and away we went! Wheeeeeeeeeee!!! Now, I'm sliding down the hill, stomping on the brakes (ABS pumping away) with the car still in 1st. No good, I was picking up speed. Apparently I wasn't completely locked up, because the car hadn't stalled yet, so I figured, what the hell, I'm going to hit something if I don't do something, so I stomped on the gas a bit, to try to re-correct and get some traction. Just for a moment I thought I was going to be ok, but I think the rear end had a bit more traction which spun me sideways enough that I slid into a 6" vertical cement curb. Both wheels look like shredded meat but I'm crossing my fingers that everything else is ok (Wheels still roll, turn, hold air).

Anyway, I walked back up the hill after I parked to check it out. I stood in amazement as I watched every car that pulled in do the same damn thing. Sure enough... GLARE ICE!!! Not good. My next stop was to have a nice chat with the leasing office people about sanding/snow removal. Needless to say, it wasn't pleasant.

Oh, and the kicker...

That which makes me most angry...

Sitting in my office, where I was just coming from, are 4 Dunlop Winter Sport M2's, mounted on 16" wheels, ready to go (Already made arrangements to sell them).

I'm taking sollace in the fact that I don't think anything short of studs and chains would have helped in this instance. Uggggggh...<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com">If you need me, I'll be here...</a></li></ul>
Old 01-07-2002, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Living proof that you shouldn't drive on sport pkg tires in the snow (I just curbed 2 wheels)...

you have my sympathy, just out of interest, does anyone know what to do with scratches on alloys, rather than chips? any Idea how much it costs to fix if scratches can be?!
Old 01-07-2002, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oddly enough, I just had a set of 16" wheels refinished...

For $110/wheel, I had mine stripped/straightened/refinished and they look like new. I'm sure you can have minor scuffs taken out for much less than that, though. I guess I'll be giving that shop some more business this spring...
Old 01-07-2002, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Update: My powersteering is shot. Puddle under the car and power steering is dead. :&gt;(
Old 01-07-2002, 03:30 PM

Wow, that sucks. It sounds like your fate was chosen regardless of the tires you had.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:04 PM

Default Dude that sucks. I'm glad that it happened under low speed conditions, coulda been alot worse.

If you can, get us some pictures of the horror. Maybe it'll dissuade others from running summer tires in bad weather. Although, from what you described, it's doubtful that even good winter tires would've saved you.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I feel for you

I was lucky last night I just got a bush. Just a scratch that can be worked out.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry to hear about the power steering. I would not stress too much about damage to your 17's.

I would be very surprised if I can make it 8 winters (plan to keep this car for that long) without some sort of damage to the stock 17's. Just look at it as a sign that it's ok to get those 18" summer wheels. :-)
Old 01-08-2002, 02:40 PM
Elder Member

Default You are no different than all the S4 owners who made the same mistake.

Last two years we lost over one a week to the same error - like no one reads this formum and believes it could happen to him.

BTW - I had two Colorado winters on SP8000s before I bought Dunlop Wintersports M2s for my stock wheels. I only drove from work to home(six miles) and was carefull. I also know how to drive in snow and ice from all my years living back east. I was not scared about my ability to drive but I was worried about my ability to react to drivers around me. If I had to do anything sudden then I was hosed. There were several times I watched people out of control heading for my car. I just had to keep doing what I was doing and pray they could stop in time - for if I took corrective action - I would be driving out of control. I got lucky and everyone came to a stop before they hit me.

Reggie

98.5 2.8QMS
Old 01-08-2002, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Um, I'm one of the guys on this forum that preaches about the importance of snow tires...

I do not have the attitude that I can "Get by" with my supreme winter driving skills. It's not a matter of skill, it's a matter of technology. Summer tires freeze in cold temperatures and become hockey pucks. I know they will not provide traction in these types of situations. I got caught at a bad time, when I didn't have mine on the car yet. Due to circumstances, I had to put off getting snow tires installed. It was not a matter of ignorance or me feeling that "I could make it". I knew I was most likely screwed the minute I drove the car in snow. Needless to say, I'm getting another set of Dunlop Winter Sport M2s for this car as soon as possible.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I just got the damage report... I bent the steering rack and both wheels. Cost to repair will be somewher in the neighborhood of $2500... How's that for an expensive lesson?