A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

opinions need 2003 1.8T cvt or 2003 1.8t quattro tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions need 2003 1.8T cvt or 2003 1.8t quattro tiptronic

Hi people..

This is my first time posting here.... Me and my fiancee are thinking of getting an 2003 a4, we are deciding betweemn a 1.8tcvt or 1.8t quattro tiptronic..or a 2003 mbz c240

i've heard great things about the CVT and i was wondering if the extra $$$ is worth it to get a quattro. me and my fiance are ona tight budget so evry option and discount that i can get i would greatt appreciate ...

can anyone please give us any opinions, impression between the two models.. i like the quattro alot but the cvt is great for the price, but my fiance will be driving the car not me.. i already have my own car that i have fun with..

if anyone has any advise id appreciate it..

were located in southern california, by orange county.. any dealers to reccomend??? also what are the price breaks for an a4? is there room to haggle, i've never bought an audi before so i do not know how the pricing is and what should i look for in an a4 flaws, etc.??

how much of a discount can i get? how uch should i pay over invoice?

I appreciate allyour help thank you..

please reply here or e-mail me at clkracer1@aol.com
Old 10-04-2002, 08:53 AM

if u get an audi, always get quattro...MHO
Old 10-04-2002, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have the 1.8T manual in the FrontTrack model and I love it!!

In my opinion only, quattro is a option, not a necessity.

The suspension on both versions are identical except for the power going to two wheels instead of four.

I live in NJ, can't help u out with your other questions.

Good luck
Old 10-04-2002, 09:24 AM

Default Re: if u get an audi, always get quattro...MHO

IS IT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.. BECAUSE WE ARE ONA TIGHT BUDGET...

IT HAS TO BE AUTO FOR SURE...

IS TEH CVT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION GREAT?
Old 10-04-2002, 09:28 AM

Default if the car isnt going to be put through more than 90% of its limits, non quattro will be fine

quattro is great for sure, but I dont agree that AUDI=Quattro and thats the be all and end all of Audi.

Quattro is good for extremely adverse weather conditions, snow etc, its major benefits are in the stability it affords when accelerating out of corners, but like I said, how hard is this car going to be pushed?

The CVT is lighter, hence more nimble, quicker off the line by atleast more than half a second, if not more... and the handling is great due to the four link suspension etc.

CVT will give yuo great mileage.

So the question is how hard are you or your soon to be wife going to push the car?
Old 10-04-2002, 09:29 AM

Default no, but I belive that Quattro is what sets audi apart, the CVT is an awesome innovation.

my only concern would be that its the first year of that tranny, and there MIGHT be bugs. however its my understanding that the 02's were o1's in europe, so audi did prolly have a year to test. Im sorry if I made u feel like it was an absolute thing. I didnt intend that statement to have that affect. I just think that quattro is what makes audi a special car.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Drive the FrontTrak

If you live in a warm clime, and you dont plan to do any aggressive driving, the quattro is but an option. It's not as if the A4 would fall to pieces in a turn without it. That being said, quattro does improve resale value.

My recommendation is to drive both and decide what the difference is worth to you. Be sure to ask the salesperson to show you how to harness the quattro (e.g., if you turning a corner without the throttle, you are not harnessing it).

I havent driven the CVT, but people around here rave about it.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2002, 09:32 AM

Default in europe, the CVT has been on A6's since 99, Ive seen 1 failure on this board.. and

more failures of standard manual transmissions blowing up, or tips etc
Old 10-04-2002, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed. There are other great reasons to buy Audi besides quattro (e.g., styling)
Old 10-04-2002, 09:36 AM

the fwd a4 is one of the safest handling and best, if not the best handling fwd in the size catagory

Quick Reply: opinions need 2003 1.8T cvt or 2003 1.8t quattro tiptronic