A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

People with dual smic, how much improvement do you get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paging AggregatVier check your e mail.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Good try...

But comparing Porche IC's with these Stock IC's is the same as comparing these Duals with the S4/ RS4/6 Setups, which your partner in crime continous to do : ) Completely different end tanks and design. Show me some pics of the two side by side, if they're comparable then I'll listen.

The aesthetics of which is better has nothing to do with which is more efficient. ; )

And I agree with you that two years ago, this was the only solution, and I went with the Duals for the exact same reasons you did in fact I read many of your very informative posts, but now, having had both, it's an easy call. : )
Old 04-28-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Yeah the Duals got heaksoaked much quicker and...

the difference was about 20C. I did the tests, I don't need fancy writeups to prove my point. : )
Old 04-28-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Agg, why are you telling these lies? : ) Read the whole post...

not just what you what to see in that chart, all that is for is too show how extremely inefficient these OEM IC's are. This is the post that has the chart which you are reffering to which shows a FMIC vs. Single IC, but TTschwing goes on to say this about Duals Vs. FMIC:

Those of us that have upgraded...>>

From duals to an FMIC can attest to the improvements. I even ran one for thousands of miles before chipping. There are 2 of us with temp monitors on our IC pipes. With that info you can calculate efficiency. The FMIC is about 93% efficient under normal conditions, the duals about 73%. The guy (JazziTT) with monitored duals has since upgraded to an FMIC and has noticed a big improvement. Here's a slick little graph we ran last year between a stage 3 TT with a single IC and my car with the FMIC. Horsepower of each was probably within 3% of each other... Admittedly, this compares a single to an FMIC, but you can see the serious heat issues and this with a big turbo that generates LESS heat than stock. He was probably loosing 20 expensive stage 3 horsepower to heat. He's got an FMIC now! Bottom line is, an FMIC is one of the most effective mods you can do for consistent performance..<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/996227.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/996227.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 04-28-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Joe you're not wrong, I've had both setups and

Did my own simple tests, not as elaborate as TTShwing and Jazzi, but I saw a difference.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:03 PM

Default You're wrong on all accounts...

unless I've misunderstood...

1st The chart is reffering to a SMIC vs. FMIC
but like I posted above, it goes on to point out that tests were done comparing the Duals vs. FMIC.

2nd and you're way off on your second point, a bigger turbo runs much cooler than a our chipped K03's or K04's. My temps with the T28 were as much as 20C cooler than with my K03. The K03 get's heatsoaked right away. Go do 1 hard run in your car, pop the hood and the whole manifold glows. That never happened with my T28 and lastly you even comfirmed this yourself in your response from this post:

YOUR WORDS:

Given how much more efficient the T28 is, how could your normal driving temps be anything but lower? The K03 is going to run hotter, no dispute. ...

Also I wouldn't call OCT, APR or NS , JC Whitney. ; )<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/586028.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/586028.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 04-28-2004, 04:09 PM

Default Have to give you props for a nice write up...

much of what you've written may be accurate. I think when comparing Dual IC setups with FMIC's there will always be debate, and with certain setups I would agree with the Duals being better, I mean look at those RS4 SM's they're awesome!

But our current OEM Dual setup doesn't compare, although they do look similar to the S4 SM. You may want to contact AWE, I heard they may be doing a upgrade on the A4 Dual setup. Talk to Todd.

Audi is not going to design a FMIC, they don't need it with the way the car is setup stock, just like you don't need a chip, coilovers, DV, exhaust, a new turbo, etc. But there are cars that come with a FMIC stock, the Dodge SR-T being one, the Evo as well. So I'm not sure if they're illegal in CA, could be and that's a good point.

You can bring in Dual IC generalities to prove your point, but give me a good analogy with these specific B6 A4 Duals. Besides my own testing, The TT analogy was the best I could come up with, and from what pics I've seen the TT Transverse sidemounts look a little better, than ours.

As Jet pointed out to why he went with the Duals, I intially went with them for the same reasons. But after having both, there's no arguement IMO and yes the names Drew. : )
Old 04-28-2004, 04:28 PM

These Duals or the RS4 Duals?
Old 04-28-2004, 04:29 PM

Default I sold mine to LPS74, you may want to email him...

He's not sure if he's going FMIC or staying with the duals, I don't think he ever installed them. Otherwise just get them from Anthony at GS.<ul><li><a href="http://www.greedspeed.com">http://www.greedspeed.com</a</li></ul>
Old 04-28-2004, 04:32 PM

Default I agree when the car gets going, they are effective...

and in truth the duals worked pretty damn good compared to the FMIC once the car got going, only a 6-10C difference. After several hard runs though the FMIC was consistently better and at idle there was a 20C difference.

Quick Reply: People with dual smic, how much improvement do you get?