A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

right hand lower suspension arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default right hand lower suspension arm

Hi folks,

I am new here. I own an Audi A4 3.0 v6 quattro from 2004. It's a real nice car to drive but lately its giving me some problem. It had starting issues but i found out that was an easy fix, just a corroded plug and after unplugging a couple of times the car starts fine again. now i only have 2 issues left, when selecting reverse on the automatic gearbox the car goes in a failsafe mode (red bar over the gear position indicator) the car still reverses but it's a bit shocking. it clear straight away after you restart the car and select drive. no problems with changing gears in drive so i think this might be a gear selector sensor issue??
the other problem is that it failed the warrant on the lower suspension ball joint right-hand side. after checking I believe it the rubber that failed (its cracked) unfortunately the try to sell me the complete arm instead of just the rubber.
i am trying to find the part number so i can look it up online and try my luck but so far i haven't been lucky.

Its number 4 on the attached drawing. Can anyone help me?

Old 10-19-2023, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts

On that parts website you got the picture from, they don’t have a parts number list to go along with the diagram? On a similar website I found 4D0 407 183AB. By the time you pay someone to press out the bushing, you may find it more expensive than buying a brand new unit. You may also want to check the outer ball joint to make sure it isn’t compromised and loose.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

Replacing parts of control arms is generally not recommended. As the big C says, by the time a bushing wears out then other parts of the arm are likely soon to fail too. And when one side has a failed arm then the other side is likely soon to follow. When an arm needs replacement, I change both uppers on each side or both lowers on each side depending on which arm has failed. The aluminum uprights tend to seize the upper arms steel pinch bolt especially in winter climates which adds to the labor effort.

If you don’t want to enter into a repeat service loop replacing individual bits one at a time then buy the complete front suspension kit in a box and replace the entire front suspension including sway bar end links and tie rod ends followed by a wheel alignment.