A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Scared the sh*t outta me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Scared the sh*t outta me!

Today I was driving to work and was running late, so I was trying to make good time. Of course I got stuck behind this soccer mom in a minivan driving too slowly and taking up two lanes. After several agonizing blocks behind her, I finally saw an opening and downshifted into second and stepped on the gas. Well, I was not prepared for what happened next.

The car started accelerating as if I had a tank of nitro in the back. No lie! So that I wouldn't get into an accident, I took my foot off the gas and shifted into neutral, and the engine revved up to 7,000 rpm. The problem is that it stayed there for about eight seconds!

Meanwhile, I'm pumping my accelerator, thinking that whatever is stuck will become unstuck ... but then I'm thinking -- there's no linkage here; this car is drive-by-wire. So I coast my car over to the curb and am ready to turn off the ignition, when the revs finally go back to normal.

What a freaky situation. It's got me believing that all those stories about Audis and unintended acceleration were real!

Has anybody else had this experience?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unintended acceleration is still crap.. BUT, I've had some weird DBW issues...

it was really scary too... I was at a stop light and as I was letting out the clutch the tach just took off and bouced off the rev limiter and my foot barely grazed the gas. Car just revved the hell out of itself

I did the same thing as you, threw it in neutral, and a couple second later it returned to normal

I really hate the DBW on this car, and that only reconfirmed all my fears of automation... but digital drive and brake seems to be the way all the manufacturers are going
Old 06-24-2003, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default damn

hadn't had that happen, but i have noticed incosistent acceleration. Sometimes when it revs higher and i put the throttle down, i'll get a kick that i'm really not expecting, and don't always get, but man, nothing like that.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Check this out. Someone reported the same thing not too long ago...

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/341483.phtml">Previous Post</a>
Old 06-24-2003, 05:18 AM

Somebody posted the same recently
Old 06-24-2003, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

does two make a trend?
Old 06-24-2003, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yup. Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes all report occassional issues with Bosch DBW.

Call service manager, tell them what happened, and ask the the car be thoroughly inspected. The most common response to the situation is to replace the throttle position sensor and very rarely, the ecu.

Fortunately the brakes are plenty strong to stop the car. Not only that, but there is a programming interlock to minimize the gas when you are on the brake ( hence left foot braking doesn't really work well in DBW ).
Old 06-24-2003, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

This is serious, man! AoA should know about this. Somebody's gonna get killed.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yep...happened to me a couple weeks ago...

Same deal...the damn thing just took off and wouldn't stop. I killed the engine cause I was scared I'd see pistons shooting through the hood. Hasn't happened since and everything seems normal but damn it's a little concerning when your car decides to drop the hammer and ignore all driver input.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default it could be your mat!!

I had the same problem...
i used to keep the factory mats below the all weather mats... and the gas pedal would get stuck on the all weather mat...
the car kept on accelerating as if it was a bat out of hell!!!...

but pressing the brake cuts the acceleration...

make sure u remove the factory mats if u have them under the all weather mats

or make sure u clip your mats to the floor and the gas pedal is free of obtruction.

Quick Reply: Scared the sh*t outta me!