A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't

So my daughter has a 2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro. She complained that every once in awhile the car wouldn't start, just click like it had a dead battery, but it didn't do it all the time. It would always start when jumped. She took the battery in to have it checked, supposedly A-OK. I looked at the connections, read the voltage from the alternator, everything looks fine. I figured maybe the start was week, and the extra amps provided with a jump was enough to kick it over. Anyway replaced the starter, car fired right up. Let it run a few minutes turned it off. Went back to start it, just clicked like a dead battery. Tried it about 4 or 5 times, then the starter began to turn the car over slowly, but enough to get it to start.

I'm open to suggestions at this point, so any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe starter solenoid is going bad?
Old 05-27-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

If you have replaced the starter, and it always started when jumped, then I would try another battery. But, check the clamps carefully, and the battery ground connection. Also, I would put a voltmeter on the battery posts to see what happens when the starter only clicks. Full voltage, then the battery is not the issue. But if volts drop way down, likely an internal battery defect. One last thing; be certain that the click is coming from the starter and not some under dash relays. That would mean a different approach.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by turbo510
If you have replaced the starter, and it always started when jumped, then I would try another battery. But, check the clamps carefully, and the battery ground connection. Also, I would put a voltmeter on the battery posts to see what happens when the starter only clicks. Full voltage, then the battery is not the issue. But if volts drop way down, likely an internal battery defect. One last thing; be certain that the click is coming from the starter and not some under dash relays. That would mean a different approach.
Yep new starter & solenoid. Thanks Turbo, I'll give that a shot tomorrow as the only other thought I had was to check the voltages at the battery from the alternator when the electrical system is under a heavy load. Maybe not enough to keep the battery fully charged? Though I really like replacing the battery a whole lot more. I'll post what I find out. Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Good luck, I think you are just about to solve this. I wouldn't worry about the alternator at this point. If the charging voltage is too low, you will get a dash warning. But the Voltmeter/DMM is your friend here. With a good battery, the starter motor spins the 3.0 really fast, but you need to have low-resistance connections between the two. If, for instance, there is a voltage difference between the cylinder head and battery ground post when trying to start the engine, that would indicate a battery ground problem. Likewise, if you put a test wire on the battery lug at the starter motor, and the other meter probe on the battery + terminal, a Voltage over perhaps 1V when attempting to start would indicate a battery - to - starter cable issue.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks again for the additional info. Hopefully tomorrow this gets resolved. I'll post what I find.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by turbo510
Good luck, I think you are just about to solve this. I wouldn't worry about the alternator at this point. If the charging voltage is too low, you will get a dash warning. But the Voltmeter/DMM is your friend here. With a good battery, the starter motor spins the 3.0 really fast, but you need to have low-resistance connections between the two. If, for instance, there is a voltage difference between the cylinder head and battery ground post when trying to start the engine, that would indicate a battery ground problem. Likewise, if you put a test wire on the battery lug at the starter motor, and the other meter probe on the battery + terminal, a Voltage over perhaps 1V when attempting to start would indicate a battery - to - starter cable issue.
I checked the voltages, everything looked fine. The battery was all that was left, so took it back to Autozone where the PO bought the current battery. Expected a fight after they "checked" it for my daughter. Told the guy at the counter that I wanted it checked, he said no need, it is almost 5 years old it needs replaced they never last that long. Turns out, this was not the same store my daughter went to, so maybe these folks would have actually checked it correctly. Anyway, new battery, 20 or more starts, no issues. Thanks for the info Turbo, I'm sure it will come in handy on the other cars I am responsible for.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you have apparently solved your problem. For many stores like Autozone, "checking" the battery means putting a voltmeter on it. 12v="ok." But this is not the way to test a battery. You need to have a device that puts a load on it (aka a "toaster.") The readout will then be of the red-yellow-green variety.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by W261w261
Glad you have apparently solved your problem. For many stores like Autozone, "checking" the battery means putting a voltmeter on it. 12v="ok." But this is not the way to test a battery. You need to have a device that puts a load on it (aka a "toaster.") The readout will then be of the red-yellow-green variety.
Autozone is generally not my go to place for parts or mechanical advice. Since my daughter does not live at home, it was easier to have her take it to them since it was their battery. I should have known better of course. They have the ability to put a load on a battery to test it, but either the guy there didn't know how, didn't want to mess with getting out of the car, or a combination of the 2, I'll never know. Anyway all good now. Hopefully I don't see it back in my driveway except for visits for quite awhile. Since she has had it, (1 year), I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, power steering pump hose, starter, battery, serpentine belt, water temp sensor, and all of the associated idler and tensioner pulleys. Oh yeah plugs and cam cover gaskets too.