A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Split Second Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 10:28 AM
DV8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Split Second Boost Controller

Instead of chipping, has anybody tried this in your 02 1.8T? Seems like a better alternative as this is not permanent if you lease. Max of 1 bar boost increase and ECU would compensate for increased load change and only costs $250.00...
Opinions?
Old 05-04-2002, 10:37 AM

Easy to splice in for stealth rather than chastity belt wrestling.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:39 AM

Default I would not trust it.

All the BCS does in fool the computer into providing more boost pressure. It does NOTHING in terms of timing or fuel management.

I'd be kinda scared to keep that in my car for any amount of time.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:26 PM

Default Are you sure? :)

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/484323.phtml">EC review</a></li></ul>
Old 05-04-2002, 01:23 PM

Default Fairly certian it does not control fuel or timing...

"The BCS is essentially a signal conditioner: It simply reads input from the engine sensors, thinks about them and then spits out revised data, tricking the computer into allowing more boost -- "

This is how it can make more power.

The BCS relies on the original programing to adjust fuel and timing to compinsate for the added boost.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default (BCS) deals with the software maps and instructions the engine uses to set boost, timing, fuel

The article is kind of hard to understand, but it does sound like it reads the above data sends a signal taking that into account.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:01 PM

Default It states this...

"Like chips, the 1 8T Boost Control System (BCS) deals with the software maps and instructions the engine uses to set boost, timing, fuel and those myriad other engine-operating parameters."
Using the stock protocols for mapping and ignition adjustment essentially does the same as reprogramming mapping and timing. That is how it makes power close to chips.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:13 PM

Sounds like its worth investigating, for those who don't need max. performance. Boost gauge too!!
Old 05-04-2002, 06:05 PM

Default Think about it, how can something external control fuel maps and timing?

It a poorly written article. Not very clear.

Do a search on some of the other forums like VWVortex and AZ. I dont think many people are too fond of this product but I could be wrong.

I just dont think that for the few hundred dolars you save over a real chip that the BCS is a worthy alternative and besides, it's hardwired into the harness going to the ECU so it's impossible to hide from the dealer. Not to mention the black box that you have to mount inside.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:15 PM

Default Simple. Tuners rewrite the whole program to add boost at a specific rpm w/the appropriate fuel

mapping. BCS uses the existing protocols to trick for more fuel and timing by putting out more boost. If the stock protocols didn't provide enough fuel and timing, the motor would ping and run lean not making any more power than a stock motor. Your Chip tuners run their aftermarket protocols closer to the edge, hence more pinging/detonation with the more power. The AG stock protocols are smoother and offer a variance for crappy octane levels around the world, hence less power when exploited. Simply because of lower caps. It is a great way of approaching tuning without archaic soldering of a mailed out ECM. Since it only kicks in at 3/4 throttle, I would expect that many people used to the welded in chip and the full re-mapping would be disappointed by comparison.

Quick Reply: Split Second Boost Controller