A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

For those of you bumping aftermarket subs....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you bumping aftermarket subs....

does the B6 trunk/rear rattle? Does anyone have Dynamat in their trunk? The stuff is expensive, but I don't want any annoying rattles/noise when I add a 12" JL sub.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:38 AM

Default Re: For those of you bumping aftermarket subs....

Yes there is rattling in the trunk. It is not enough for me to bother with spending the $$$ on dynamat to fix. One of the simplest things to do it to get rid of that orange hazard triangle as its makes some noise. The only area of real concern to me is inside the cabin, from the overhead console where the light and sunroof dial is, this rattles a lot on my car. There is a simple temporary fix (lasts a few month each time) that is detailed here in the forum. If you have any problems finding it you can email me. I am too lazy to type things out so look first. I should mention I am running about 360 watts rms through a PG titanium woofer.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dlphn1.8tA4 ...how much did it cost you for the setup ... can you break it up with labor. TIA
Old 05-29-2003, 11:48 AM

Default i just got a 12w3v2 installed with a zapco350 ...

the main rattling i get is from the license plate and the lock mechanism... i got some rubber/foam to put behind it... going to put it in today. So that should be ok. And the map light area does rattle aswell.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:50 AM

what type of foam/rubber, home depot stuff?
Old 05-29-2003, 12:24 PM

Default Re: no rattle.. (Warning: long reply).

I did some studying in this area when deciding to upgrade my audio system, so i felt adding my 2 cents might be helpful.

the audio shop (Traffic Jamz in s. cali) i got my sub installed at recommended against getting a bandpass or other aftermarket box since European cars such as audi's have sealed trunks- meaning, a lot of the bass gets trapped/lost in the trunk, (hence the rattling).

For an audi, he recommended highest for an infinite baffle setup since the bass is delivered directly into the housing of the car and not the trunk. The bass sounds tight, clean, and no rattling in trunk or elsewhere in the car. Also, this kind of setup will conserve most/all of your trunk space.
A box will probably eliminate your ability to carry big items such as snowboards, big boxes, fold down tables (which are things i've been able to carry in there) since you lose the ability to use the space in your car by folding down the seats, unless of course you remove the box temporarily, or purchase one of those nifty sport racks.

My buddy with an A6 who had a box with 2 12" cost him a few bills shy of a g' and ended up getting rid of the box since it took up too much space and delivered too much bass (which is not necessarily a bad thing =).

So in the end, it really is up to you and what you want. A box will deliver harder hitting bass, the downside of course being the rattling and lost space. 2 layers of dynomat should help with the rattling tremendously though.
An infinite baffle setup which I would only recommend if you know how to do one or get it professionally installed will not give you as much bass as a box but will deliver a clean, hard bass all around without the rattle or loss of trunk space.

that's my 2 cents.
Good luck~!

p.s. one note - a custom install will probably be more expensive, so keep that in mind. I have 1 12", upgraded components and with the custom install my cost came to a whoppin g' and 2 bills ($1200).. ouch~
Old 05-29-2003, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Dlphn1.8tA4 ...how much did it cost you for the setup ... can you break it up with labor. TIA

I couldn't even tell you for the amp it is a kicker ZR 360 that I bought 4 years ago, I think I paid 390 dollars but I am not sure but for the labor, box and sub I can tell ya much better
12" PG titanium woofer $185
Q logic box, type 2 for woofer 120 (I think bought that last year but a little more then 100 sounds right)
Installation was 110, that includes install the amp, woofer, the cables and a circuit breaker, the breaker was 30 so I guess install was actually 80 with cables. If you assume the cables cost about 40 dollars then labor was only 40. I did not use high end cables b/c I am not using a good radio just the factory one, so it didn't make sense to spend all the $$ on cables when I prob couldn't even notice the difference.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:39 PM

Default YGM essence

let me know if that was confusing I just threw it together w/o my own photos b/c I am here at work
Old 05-29-2003, 12:44 PM

who makes infinite-baffle subs? JL?
Old 05-29-2003, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

can you control the bass from the head unit or do you have to adjust it from the amp ??

Quick Reply: For those of you bumping aftermarket subs....