A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Took the car in for service today and:

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Took the car in for service today and:

Found out that my CEL was on because the cat has been burnt out. Most probably because of the Neuspeed exhaust. Tech guys were super cool, just recomended to put back on stock exhaust and they would replace it for free!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will it burn out again if you when you go back to the Neuspeed exhaust?
Old 06-18-2003, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have no idea. more:

It is not completely gone, but its is somewhat bad.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:19 AM

Whaaaaat? Why would the CAT be burned out because of the exhaust? I have never heard of this before.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Whaaaaat?

I dont know, that was there excuse.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's either an early warning to an upcomming coil failure, or was damaged due to a failed coil.

I've had both CATs go bad on me. Each time, it would go bad, a coil would then fail a few months later. That's been my experience, and I'm sticking to it! =)
Old 06-18-2003, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: It's either an early warning to an upcomming coil failure, or was damaged due to a failed coil.

So does that mean that all of us that had coils fail (i had 3) are going to have failed cats to worry about soon?? What if the damn thing is out of warranty at that point? Those things can't be cheap.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Their explanation makes little sense.

Catalytic converters are the last-chance place to combust fuel so that it is not emitted as smog.

In other words, if your cylinders are not efficiently burning all the hydrocarbons then the cats take over, but if it is a massive persistent dump of HC then the cats will eventually burn out.

Normally it means either

1) the engine computer is putting in too much fuel. this could be an air metering or ECU problem. If you're chipped you might check this.

2) you are not getting good spark or good spark at the right timing. check plugs & coilpacks.

maaaaybe only if the exhaust is physically too hot in the wrong place that it is hurting the cats might it be a problem, but it seems pretty unlikely.

What were the codes which made the check engine light go off? oxygen sensors?

I would have them try to do an engine diagnostic etc to make sure there aren't any problems, otherwise you will burn out the new cats once again.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Typical. Blame it on the aftermarket part because they have no clue what caused it.

I would think they would be a bit more concerned with getting there head out of their **** to find out exactly why it is burned out. Maybe it was defective? It is just absurd that they said it was due to the exhaust. Tell them to prove it. The exhaust is after the CAT and there is absolutely no reason it would affect it. If that were true, then there would be many more people with that same problem.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've seen cats burnt out due to ultra lean running and high temps before, as well as dumping too

much raw fuel into the exhaust due to a poor mixture. The heat of the cat burns it up of course, but it causes a localized hot spot.

If the car has been running too lean for a while, the turbine blades and piston tops are in danger as well due to extra high temps.

Do you have a way to test the stochiometric mixture under normal running conditions ?

Quick Reply: Took the car in for service today and: