A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

use of fuel injector cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 07:37 PM
DCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default use of fuel injector cleaner?

What's your opinions of using some fuel injector cleaner such as Gumout or STP every so often? I've always used it on my other cars. Is it a good idea to use on 1.8Ts? I figure at just over 4k mi. I'm due. Plus I have a long weekend trip tomorrow evening to allow that stuff to run through.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:47 PM

Default I use the one cost 8.99 CAD and use every 5000km

every time i use that i seem to have milage for the first few times
Old 06-27-2002, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: use of fuel injector cleaner?

Audi themselves recommend using a fuel additive if the gasoline you use does not already contain sufficient additives. However, they recommend their own fuel additive, available at the dealer (of course). You can read about it in the brochure about fuel and carbon buildup that should be in your dealer's service department (along with various other brochures on brake noise and such).

That said, I used Chevron Techron Concentrate once in a while on my VW VR6 engine. A few people had said it was among the best in reviews, and Chevron's Techron fuel additive in general has always been highly acclaimed. I did notice that Chevron has different additive products for special uses like "fuel system cleaner", "injector cleaner", etc., but I just use the general Techron concentrate.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:54 PM
DCS

Default I guess I'll use the Gumout FI/Carb cleaner

"contains no alcohol, safe for cats and O2 sensors, blah, blah, blah"

thanks for the input, since I have a long trip I wanted to double check b/c now is the last time that I want to screw something up and have a breakdown
Old 06-28-2002, 03:29 AM

Default Don't bother

If after 150k miles or so, it seems to need it, take them out and buy new ones or have RC blueprint them. Waste of money otherwise.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full text of the Audi "Carbon and Fuel Quality" brochure:

Today's high-tech automobile engines require exceptionally clean operating conditions for dependable, smooth performance. The tiniest deposit or residue can easily cause problems such as hesitation during acceleration after starting a cold engine, an unstable idle, and/or the check engine light to come on.

A major cause of clogging is carbon build-up, which can be a by-product of the type of gasoline you use. Knowing a few facts about carbon and gasoline could save you time and money... and most importantly, keep your Audi running at peak performance.

Gasolines vary from one manufacturer to another, but all have properties which can cause deposits to collect on vital engine components. Close microscopic tolerances of fuel injectors and intake valves are especially prone to clogging. Although most gasolines contain some additives to keep engine and fuel systems clean, they are not all equally effective.

In time, carbon deposits can lead to a myriad of engine performance problems including unstable idling, power loss, surging, engine run-on, misfiring, and engine knocking. Over a long period of time, permanent engine damage can result from carbon deposits.

<B>What can you do to prevent carbon deposits on fuel injectors and intake valves?</B>
To start with, select a gasoline brand that contains detergent additives. These additives are primarily intended to keep fuel injectors clean, although some will also prevent carbon deposits on intake valves.

If the brand of fuel you are using does not contain a blend of detergents, talk to your Audi dealer about "Autobahn Gasoline Additive". This product contains a specially formulated ingedient that helps keep your Audi performing in top notch condition, and most importantly, prevents carbon deposits on intake valves or fuel injection components.

To prevent carbon and fuel system deposits before build-up occurse, add one 6.5-ounce bottle (ZVW 239 003) ti the fuel tank before every fill up. Fill the fuel tank completely, and do not refill with gasoline until the fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank or less.

Your Audi is designed and built as a high performance vehicle. Maintain its integrity with proper care and maintenance by using proper fuels and additives.
Old 06-28-2002, 04:01 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Only real good one to use is BG. GREAT to use actually...

but you have a new car? why are you using it? Dealers use a more commercial version to decarbonize. Just use a Techron type gas if possible.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bgprod.com/autofuel.html">http://www.bgprod.com/autofuel.html</a</li></ul>