A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

when will DSG be offered in the B6

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when will DSG be offered in the B6

I was reading EVO the other day and there is an article comparing the 3 BMW transmissions: automatic, standard manual, and BMW's Sequencial Manual Gearbox. BMW is planning on making the SMG an option in all models in a couple of years.
Is Audi planning on introducing the DSG (their version of the "clutchless manual") beyond the TT in upcoming years?
When will we see this "grand prix" inspired transmission in the B6?
Will this new transmission phase out automatics or phase out standard manuals?
Old 08-06-2003, 04:22 PM

Default naa

way I see it Audi will keep upping the power that the CVT can take, and it will simply outperform the DSG system.
it doesnt matter how fast you can shift into the correct gear if youre competing against something thats ALWAYS in the correct gear.
Its coming out with quattro soon too, but of course it all depends on how much they can up the power handling of the transmission.
DSG may as yet have a place, but the way I see it in a decade it will all be Multitronic.
100 percent smooth, more fuel efficient and faster.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Amen!
Old 08-06-2003, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

wont happen
Old 08-07-2003, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not so sure about that. Read in a European car mag that the DSG will make it in most of the....

production line up in time.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:42 AM

Default it'll happen... maybe just to S4 though

if you think about it, Audi only introduced this Ultra Sport crap to compete with BMW's Performance Package. They're trying to establish themselves as the top performance brand. So if BMW puts SMG in a 330i, i think Audi will follow w/ the DSG (which will bitch-whip an SMG). But right now, I think its only on the M3 right?? And the audi CVT <i>might</i> become as fast as a DSG <i>eventually</i> but people now still want real gears, at least on an S4. I mean would you buy an S4 with a CVT??
Old 08-07-2003, 07:07 AM

Yes, though even the golf and A3 will have it first. I say 2005
Old 08-07-2003, 08:59 AM

Default yeah, however in a decade to 15 years, CVT technology will hopefully

be advanced enough that it will then replace DSG.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:02 AM

Default Its

already as fast as a manual, and is effectively detuned as people didnt like the characteristics, but it can be tuned to be faster than a manual.
Think about it, DSG is a system like SMG, though double clutch, however it is essentially a manual with computer controlled superfast shifts.
This type of system was pioneered in formula one as a "compromise".
Renault came out with the CVT in F1 and it consistantly pushed out lap times seconds faster than anything else, it was banned and for a reason, so they came out with the SMG type system.

Will people want a sports car with CVT?
Well would people want a sports car without manual? Anyone who gets SMG is effectively not shifting so clearly they will, and if the answer is that they are after true performance, then Multitronic will do extremely well in that department too, and can be tuned to be FASTER!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:28 AM

Default well call me conservative or old-fashioned...

but I just think from a marketing perspective it will be a while (not too long, like you said about a decade) before a CVT really becomes mainstream, esp. for use in something like the S4. But Audi could have DSG in the B6 next year if they want, and it shifts <i>faster</i> than a manual right now, albeit with a few weird quirks. And they spent all that money developing it and advertising it, so there's no reason <i>not</i> to put it in the B6... even if they only do it to increase sales or show up BMW's mediocre SMG.

Quick Reply: when will DSG be offered in the B6