A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

b-7 cam lobe/follower general info

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b-7 cam lobe/follower general info

I have noted some info on this issue noting it is a weak point on the b-7 2.0.

My questions are for a general understanding, as I am looking for a b-7 2.0.

1. Is this a problem likely to affect many/most engines, ie mileage related? or quality control related? In other words, how common? will they all have it eventually, or just some?
2. Is someone who built 911 engines in his garage sufficiently skilled/equiped to repair this problem or is a waranty the way to go?
3. should I wait a year or two and get a b-8?
Thanks for input.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default couple answers...

1. If you ask the dealer (as I did this weekend), they will tell you it's isolated to certain VINs. That's all well and good, but I've seen Audi do this in the past, and their VIN breakdown is less than reliable. I don't know what real world observations are (have VIN's not ID'd by Audi been affected). There have been part revisions on the cam (harder lob to deal with the fuel pump riding on it). Audi has modified the 2.0T for 2009, but since it is technically a different engine, the part could be completely different, rather than a revision. Not sure. Generally, I feel like there is a lack of information and understanding around the issue, or maybe it's just me.

2. I can't give you a step by step, but yes, if you've worked on engine internals, swapping a cam and high pressure fuel pump shouldn't be any trouble for you. In fact, it should be child's play.

3. The B8 2.0T is improved, and the B7 2.0T is their first implementation of the FSI turbo. If you're not one to buy the "first" of anything, waiting for the B8 is a no brainer. If you want the improvements (power, efficiency, incrementals, timing chain) of the B8, again...wait. If you want it now or want to stay within budget and are willing to overlook the stuff in the B8 2.0T, you know what to do.

Generally speaking, I'm not sure enough people have logged serious miles on these engines to sort out their flaws. It appears to be reliable at the time of this writing. But until volumes of people are crossing 100K, I would hold off on any conclusions.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Some other opinions...

1. I've just passed the 50K mile mark on my B7 (2006) and was concerned about the cam lobe wear and the potential for a rather expensive repair bill out of warranty in the future. I had my dealer check the cam and fuel system for faults just prior to the warranty expiry (for free!) and he said that there was no abnormal wear and the system was fine (I trust his opinion).

2. If you've rebuilt 911 engines, then changing the cam etc shouldn't be too difficult...the only concern here is the high pressure fuel rail and taking care to depressurize the system before working on it.

3. The B8 is supposed to be an improved beast, but again it'll have new parts and potentially new problems, so my reply would be get a well cared for 2.0T with a good CPO warranty on it.

Best of luck,

Nick
Old 02-11-2009, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: b-7 cam lobe/follower general info

from what i have seen in my shop (i am a service advisor for an audi dealer) they are isolated to the 2006's and only a few within 06.

I have never seen anything but an 06 do it and to tell you the truth the problem seems to be a function of miles not time. They all seem to do it within 20-30k miles.

I would not recommend attempting this yourself because even when i have my more experienced techs on a cam shaft job, they will sometimes get check engine lights after road testing it. which means they have to tear it all down again and check timing.

As far as the b8, the cars are too new to know what kind of common problems they will have. If anyone else tells you otherwise they are guessing.

hope that helps
Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default What is so difficult about setting the timing on this engine vs. previous Audi I4's?

I'm curious if there is a new wrinkle, or just the fact that it's a job for someone detail oriented and not someone that's lazy or sloppy (even experienced techs are guilty of the later).
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It has happened to both version A cams and the revised B cams in all model years of FSI.....

On the GTI boards, their are examples of bad followers in cars from all years with FSI, along with both cam types, A and the revised B.

As of right now, it is not limited to any specific year/car.

Cars with 0 mods have had a bad follower, yet stg 2 cars are perfect and vice versa.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

The TSI 2.0T (200hp) is also a revised engine as well. Ditto remarks beyond that.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

x2.....I stated in my above post that in the GTI, the follower has failed in almost all combinations