A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Loss of power then magically fixed, fan staying on then magically fixed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power then magically fixed, fan staying on then magically fixed

Hi all,

I hope you're all well. I have a red Audi Avant 2006 estate which I love and it's done so well over the years giving me very few problems indeed. It even passed it's MOT recently with no issues!

The reason I'm posting this message is because just after having passed it's MOT it started behaving a bit weird. The night after getting it back the fan was heard out the front blasting out at maximum on the car a good while after I'd been home. I didn't notice (only my partner did and didn't mention it) and it eventually flattened the battery. The same thing happened the following evening and I decided I'd better put a trickle charger on it overnight in case it kicked in 3 times in a row and flattened the battery again. Of course it didn't happen again the problem seemed to magically fix itself.

End of mystery right.... Well a few days later I was driving back from picking up a lawn mower when the car suddenly seemed to lose power... No noticeable issue at all apart from the face it just didn't seem to want to accelerate. I drove it back gently and I wondered if the Turbo had failed or something... I drove it again the following evening and it burbled a bit and took a while to start but then purred fine with perfect tick over. The same issue with very little power though again.

I decided I'd better give it a rest because the engine management light came on and I booked it into the garage for next week.

Anyway no sooner did I book it into the garage did it magically fix itself again... engine management light gone and full power back to normal.

Now either this garage has some increadible magic remote fixing ability which I will have to leave a rather favourable google review for or something very odd is going on with my car.

I'm really hoping some of the experts here that know a thing or two more about automotives than I might be able to offer some sage suggestions as to what could be wrong. It's due to hit the garage on Tuesday but I'd really like some thoughts in case it gets expensive.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Phil,
Gremlins.
Low battery voltage can result in all sorts of weird shenanigans with these rigs. I'd consider a new battery.
Glad it is up to par again. Good luck to you, Hayabusafalcon "Haya".
Old 04-30-2024, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Hayabusafalcon - ha I was thinking Gremlins, but there must be some mogwai in there somewhere fixing it after.

It's actually a new battery though it could still be the battery because maybe the previous phantom problem with the fan burning out the battery twice nacked the battery slightly. I could try a voltage check on it..
Old 04-30-2024, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2006 advant did the same thing. Fan would come on than go off when opened the door. The cover for the ECM was broken allowing water into a fuse and relay panel under the ECM and one relay had been under water and was full of rust. New relay fixed that. Let them check your codes. Audi's will sometimes throw a list of faults but it usually one problem. Let us know what you find.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

+1 on what the dog says.

And don't park it under a waterfall. hehe. H.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+2 on the battery but also check the floorboards if it's been raining and see if they are wet both front and back. There is important stuff under the carpet in the front on both sides.