A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

New to me 2006 a4 avant with issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New to me 2006 a4 avant with issues

Bought it used with 162k for 5 grand knowing it would need some work but the more I mess with it the more I find wrong. Have the oil filter/oil cooler leak which should be fairly easy fix. The manual mode part of the auto shifter is inop. Again should be easy fix. The buttons on the left side of the steering wheel do nothing. Right side volume works. Heat on passenger side blows cold. Car did not come with owners manual so some what confused on what some stuff does. Cannot figure out how to dim dash lights. I do not have the factory key it's some cheesy key so I have to manually lock and unlock door with the key. The button inside locks all the doors but the drivers side. Somebody did the drone mod and cut the back resonators out so it drones to much for me and a bit to loud and pretty sure it's been lowered because the back hops alot. I have been to busy to mess with it so I'm starting here first. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well had some time with the car and the leak was from the oil filter cup. The gasket was pinched and got that fixed. For some reason after fixing the leak the manual mode of the tranny started working. I do believe I have a ghost living in this car. Played the radio for a friend and it would keep playing without the key in it and the doors shut. Than later on we are by the car and the fan kicks on. The engine was dead cold. I opened the door and it shut off. Than did it again and would not shut off until I opened the door. Would the Vag com help with issues like that or the steering wheel controls on one side not working. I don't want to throw parts at it trying to fix these things. Also thought about trying another steering wheel to see if the controls on both side work and my car does not have paddle shifters so I want to add a wheel with paddle shifters if it not to much trouble. I guess I need to do more searches on this forum.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

mmm: Sounds to me like the electrical gremlins might be a bad ground somewhere. The first place I'd check is the ground connection at the back-underside of the vacuum pump. (Stupid place to attach a ground cluster if you ask me. Way to go Audi.) If any recent service work was done in that area it is easy to forget to reattach that connection. I've done it myself. Mine has two wires but I hear tell that some cars may have three there. Good luck, Haya....

Also the battery.....old or weak batteries or bad post connections can have weird effects on these Audi's.
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I'll agree with Haya. Ensure the battery is in GREAT shape.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the response. The car does turn over kind of slow and I will check the battery. I remember reading people having odd electrical gremlins and all it was is a bad ground or not being connected from previous work. Will check the one Busa talks about and let you know what I find.
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Checked the battery 12.3 sitting and 14.2 at idle. I felt in the back under the vacuum pump and found a ground stud with only one cable going to it. Felt around for other wires not connected but couldn't find anything. I use to have the long handled mirror but I think the mirror broke. I need to invest in another. Will check some more when time allows.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well not to happy with my purchase. I have bought and sold a few cars and still do most of the work myself when it comes to repairs but this thing is on a new level when it come to malfunctions and stuff not working. I have codes P0243 boost pressure control malfunction or intermittent, P1531 cam timing adjustment intermittent, P2293 fuel pressure regulator valve intermittent,P0300 misfires intermittent, P1602 terminal 30 voltage low intermittent. The manual mode for the auto trans does not work or I should say Intermittent. The bad thing with this car is just the P1531 could have about 8 different things causing it to act up. I bought it as a second car something I can go on long drives in but I don't even want to take it out the driveway. I left out the left steering wheel controls do not work and the menu in the center of the gauges cannot be changed or scrolled thru. I guess it's my bad for assuming Audi's are cars you can do the maintenance on and have a good car.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

mmm, Still sounds like electrical to me. Power down everything, reset the faults with your scanner then start the car and see which codes appear first. Go from there. It may give you a hint as to where to look first. Good luck, Haya.
These rigs test your patience, no doubt. But figure this crap out and you can fix anything! Personally I previously did not fuss much with cars in general, but this A4 has my interest now. I keep telling people it's the perfect car. I've fixed every possible thing that can break so now it's perfect. Haha.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Test your patience is correct. I got the Ross tech scan tool and had just been running going to reset the codes like you said and see what happens and it suddenly lost connection and would not connect back. Not sure if that was the car being itself or operator error. I had issues with the ECM cover being broken and water getting to one of the relays for the fan. I fixed all that and need to look inside under the dash and drivers floor board for moisture. It does seem like an electrical gremlin. I got another shifter mechanism from a junkyard to swap and see if the auto shifter works and it shifted up but not down. Tried putting the circuit board onto the original mechanism and now won't shift up but shifts down. I need to pull the battery and clean all the leaves and junk and there is suppose to be a drain there that gets plugged and have the battery load tested. I don't want to spend the money for a new battery but the one in it is too tall getting close to the hood. Another thing I keep forgetting is the check engine light is not on which has me puzzled.