A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

RS4 sway bar installation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 sway bar installation question

Is it possible to get the stock brackets over the new RS4 bushings? I read a writeup that said no, but the shop I got the bar from said it was supposed to work (ECS Tuning...so I took their word for it and yanked the old bar out). I put the new bar on and of course the old brackets won't go over the new bushings. What's your experience been?

Conveniently there is no way for me to get the brackets before next week, so I am either stuck w/o the car all weekend, I have to force the brackets on, or I have to reinstall the old bar (not gonna happen).
Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Default Re: RS4 sway bar installation question

You know, it's funny that you posted this, because I was going to do the same thing.

I talked to ECS yesterday and specifically asked whether the bracket would fit over the new bushings with the RS4 bar, referencing some of the problems people are discussing here.

He said that there would be absolutely no problem. He explained that the hole in the bushing is bigger, but the bushing itself is the same size. I said, OK, others must be doing something wrong.

I got my bar today, thanks for the heads-up before I started my install. I will try to get new brackets from my dealer. We shoudl all write ECS and tell them to start including the brackets, or offering them for sale, explaining that the current ones won't work without really unsafe bending and squeezing.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default That is exactly what they told me. And yesterday too.

I assumed they were basing that on something. Heh... Like, maybe they'd done it before.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Get the bigger OEM clips from Audi - Part number is 8E0-511-439
Old 08-15-2008, 04:56 AM

Default Just got off the phone with ECS - they have the larger clips.

I told them that the A4 OEM clips don't work and gave them the RS part number. This is what they have - I ordered 2 of them, I should have them in a few days, I will let you know if they work!!

Genuine Volkswagen / Audi - Sway Bar Bushing Bracket - Priced Each ES#240479

Usually ships in 1-3 days $7.69 Usually ships in 1-3 days
Old 08-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I'm going to the dealer I guess...takes a couple days and I don't have to pay shipping.

I think it's only like $8 and some change. Of course they don't stock them.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just ordered from dealer. $16.56 and will arrive Tuesday. Guess I should put the old bar back on...

Why does something so easy have to become so complicated? Heh...

The install was relatively easy...just unhooked the exhaust at the back and pulled the sway out and pushed the new one back in. Didn't even jack up the car. But that doesn't mean I want to do it again. Oh well.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wonder why tuners will not tell people to do this mod correctly. You need the larger clips.

No offense to you (or anyone else), but these clips are cheap and make the install so much less of a pain. Or better yet, make their own clip with a grease zerk.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No idea why they didn't know...but they did say they'd better make a note of it though.

Hopefully my pain will help somebody out in the future. Heh... Oddly, like italia229 said, they told us the bushings were the same size as stock with larger holes. That is a lot more matter-of-fact than just "Maybe they should fit."

I am not about to force brackets on that are too small. Which is why I stopped and asked the question. Problem was I couldn't tell until the old ones were off.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Similar issue from back in 2001 and Neuspeed's anti-swaybar for the B5

They shipped a bunch of them without subframe support brackets. People installed the bars and the subframes were being damaged.

Quick Reply: RS4 sway bar installation question