A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2.0T ticking noise until engine is warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped off my car for 5,000 mile service and picked up a 2011 A4 2.0T (with 3,000 miles) as a loaner.

To my relief, the loaner made the exact same ticking noise! According to the service technician at the dealership, the noise is indeed from the EVAP purge valve and it is absolutely normal to hear them tick.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Yes...that noise

Luongo...thank you for making me aware that I am not crazy. I have a 2011 A4 2.0T. That noise is unbelievably loud. Now what I couldn't hear on your video was an intermittent sound of sand/gravel pouring between the loud pops...that is the best way I can describe it. What's worse is that I can hear it while I'm driving. If I have the radio off, low, or on talk radio I constantly hear the sound of sand/gravel pinging around the back of the car. It drives me absolutely bonkers. I have the car going back a 2nd time already and my car only has 3,300 miles on it.

Now I could be paranoid, but I swear the car doesn't seem to perform as well...it just seems to be "missing" something. I have no warning lights, everything appears normal, but the longer I drive, the faster I am going, the more I accelerate, and the higher the gear, the louder and more consistent is that sand/gravel sound coming from the back.

I want my 2004 A4 back. It ran splendidly and quietly. I absolutely hate the noise of my new A4.

When you replaced the EVAP Canister, did this help? Did you ever hear sand/gravel pouring (the sound, not literal)? Any performance issues? It sounds like you could only hear it when outside the car. When I turn my car off, it sounds like a fireworks show underneath the car when you are standing next to it. Lastly, it is inconsistent and very hard for me to reproduce on the spot. The car is sneaky like that. To top it off, I generally need to be going over 70 for it to really kick in and be readily apparent for a technician. I basically need to drive with the music blared not to shoot myself out of irritation.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I agree - took delivery in April, rattle has been there since

Originally Posted by gjruss
Luongo...thank you for making me aware that I am not crazy. I have a 2011 A4 2.0T. That noise is unbelievably loud. Now what I couldn't hear on your video was an intermittent sound of sand/gravel pouring between the loud pops...that is the best way I can describe it. What's worse is that I can hear it while I'm driving. If I have the radio off, low, or on talk radio I constantly hear the sound of sand/gravel pinging around the back of the car. It drives me absolutely bonkers. I have the car going back a 2nd time already and my car only has 3,300 miles on it.

Now I could be paranoid, but I swear the car doesn't seem to perform as well...it just seems to be "missing" something. I have no warning lights, everything appears normal, but the longer I drive, the faster I am going, the more I accelerate, and the higher the gear, the louder and more consistent is that sand/gravel sound coming from the back.

I want my 2004 A4 back. It ran splendidly and quietly. I absolutely hate the noise of my new A4.

When you replaced the EVAP Canister, did this help? Did you ever hear sand/gravel pouring (the sound, not literal)? Any performance issues? It sounds like you could only hear it when outside the car. When I turn my car off, it sounds like a fireworks show underneath the car when you are standing next to it. Lastly, it is inconsistent and very hard for me to reproduce on the spot. The car is sneaky like that. To top it off, I generally need to be going over 70 for it to really kick in and be readily apparent for a technician. I basically need to drive with the music blared not to shoot myself out of irritation.

Thanks!

I agree with the rattle/ticking noise from my brand new 2012 Audi A5 with 1530 miles on it now.

I upgraded from a 2001 Saturn and jumped in to the Audi A5 in early April 2012, purchased new.

I have my A5 in to the dealer for the 4th time now. They are going to replace the middle muffler and bracket next week. The sound is so bad sometimes that you can hear it inside the car while driving on bumpy roads and especially when you close the trunk... it sounds like something is going to fall off the bottom of the car from being loose. From what I searched on online forums, replacing the middle muffler won't fix the problem.

Anyone else have a solution to this? I'd like to tell my local dealer how to fix the problem so that I can actually enjoy driving the car instead of hearing obnoxious noises from the car while idle at red lights.

My old Saturn never did and still doesn't have these type of problems. Audi, you should be ashamed putting out a model that has these type of problems. For a $50k car, I would have expected better. If the dealer is unable to fix the problem and I can't put it through as a lemon, I will end up eating the depreciation cost and selling the car out of disappointment from no solution by Audi to fix the problem.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Luongo
I know that 2.0T engines normally make 'direct injection' ticking noise, but I am hearing a different ticking noise when the weather is cold outside (10~30 degrees F) until the engine is fully warmed up (temp gauge at middle). It almost sounds like a ticking clock and I hear about 5 ticks per second.

The noise only happens if the car has been sitting for several hours. Upon starting the engine, the car idles at around 1,200 RPM and then it drops down to about 800 RPM. After a few minutes of idling, the loud ticking noise begins. The noise is only heard from outside of the car and it would disappear after I drive it around for a few miles. There is no shake or vibration that can be felt from inside the cabin.

My car is at 4,000 miles on the odometer and haven't had the first oil change yet. Current oil level shows about 60% full according to the MMI screen.

My best guess is that the oil gets thick out in the cold Chicago weather and the valve lifters don't receive enough oil until the engine is warmed up and the oil gets thin enough for proper lubrication. I never hear the noise when the temperature gauge is at the halfway mark.

Should I bring my car in for inspection or wait another few weeks until the 5,000 miles service. Should I top up the engine oil by adding about 0.4 quarts of oil and see if the noise stops?
Hi Luongo,

I am experiencing the similar sound as you have described. I have also done a youtube video, you will hear the click click sound after the engine rpm has settled and it disappears when engine is warm.

Are you experiencing the same exact sound as me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vns2n...ature=youtu.be

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pi314
Hi Luongo,

I am experiencing the similar sound as you have described. I have also done a youtube video, you will hear the click click sound after the engine rpm has settled and it disappears when engine is warm.

Are you experiencing the same exact sound as me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vns2n...ature=youtu.be

Thanks
I forgot to to mention that you the clicking sound can be heard after 1.03 minutes in the video. Is that the sound you guys are experiencing?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pi314
I forgot to to mention that you the clicking sound can be heard after 1.03 minutes in the video. Is that the sound you guys are experiencing?

Thanks
Sorry about the typo. I was typing this on the go. I meant the clicking sound can be heard distinctively and clearly after 1:03 minutes in the video but it is pretty soft which mean that you could not hear it in the cabin.
By the way my car is only 11 months old with 28K mileage.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Never mind..
Old 11-16-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luongo
Dropped off my car for 5,000 mile service and picked up a 2011 A4 2.0T (with 3,000 miles) as a loaner.

To my relief, the loaner made the exact same ticking noise! According to the service technician at the dealership, the noise is indeed from the EVAP purge valve and it is absolutely normal to hear them tick.

I know this post is old but I’m glad i found it. My 2013 i just bought makes the same exact noise until warmup. I found comfort in you thread lol
Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've got the same one on B9 2.0 TFSI
gets quite loud at times - Im thinking of replacing EVAP valve see if that help