A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 A4 Door Lock Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 A4 Door Lock Problems

I have a 2008 A4 Quattro and am having some issues with two of my door locks. About 2 months ago, the drivers side rear door stopped opening from the outside. The lock mechanism was replaced and has been working fine. About a month later, the same thing happened to the driver's door but resolved on it's own. The driver's door problem is now back and doesn't seem to be going away. The only way to open the driver's door is from the inside. It does not open with the manual key either.

I'm surprised to have had the same issue with two different doors. Is this a known problem that others have had or just bad luck?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bradm23
I have a 2008 A4 Quattro and am having some issues with two of my door locks. About 2 months ago, the drivers side rear door stopped opening from the outside. The lock mechanism was replaced and has been working fine. About a month later, the same thing happened to the driver's door but resolved on it's own. The driver's door problem is now back and doesn't seem to be going away. The only way to open the driver's door is from the inside. It does not open with the manual key either.

I'm surprised to have had the same issue with two different doors. Is this a known problem that others have had or just bad luck?

Thanks!
had my door handle replaced three times before i went out of warranty. On the same driver side door. They replaced the whole handle due to faulty sensor. And now i get the same issue and i don't want to spend to repair it out of pocket. Its a PITA issue for me. I tried the key in ignition thing for re-sync and all that stuff. Nothing worked. If the manual key is not working tho, that's a whole bigger issue
Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have a simple linkage problem if the metal key does not work. If you can hear the "thump" from the lock solenoid when using the remote in the drivers door that would almost guarantee a linkage problem.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the door latch on the drivers door replaced a few months ago. The lock sensor had gone bad and the car would randomly unlock/disable the alarm when it was parked. Cost me $700 out of pocket.

Yours sounds like a mechanical problem, there's clips that retain the door lock/latch cables.. could be some of those clips are fatigued/broken.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ports
I had the door latch on the drivers door replaced a few months ago. The lock sensor had gone bad and the car would randomly unlock/disable the alarm when it was parked. Cost me $700 out of pocket.
That is a terrible price to pay for what in reality is a sensor that costs less than a dollar. Automobile manufacturers have set up a system where the dealer makes very little profit selling a car. Absent the service drive no businessman would operate a store selling only new cars. The door assembly has been marked up 30 times what it cost Volkswagen to acquire it. This is where the dealer makes a fat profit, VAG makes a fat profit, and drivers are being overcharged for the service provided.

All German marques have a problem with the durability of their infrared sensor circuits. I can buy a small helicopter that uses the same remote technology as the key/door on our cars for $15.

Audi prides themselves on being an savvy engineering company. Let's see them manufacture the door handle so the electronics can be serviced without wholesale replacement of perfectly good parts.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moviela
That is a terrible price to pay for what in reality is a sensor that costs less than a dollar. Automobile manufacturers have set up a system where the dealer makes very little profit selling a car. Absent the service drive no businessman would operate a store selling only new cars. The door assembly has been marked up 30 times what it cost Volkswagen to acquire it. This is where the dealer makes a fat profit, VAG makes a fat profit, and drivers are being overcharged for the service provided.

All German marques have a problem with the durability of their infrared sensor circuits. I can buy a small helicopter that uses the same remote technology as the key/door on our cars for $15.

Audi prides themselves on being an savvy engineering company. Let's see them manufacture the door handle so the electronics can be serviced without wholesale replacement of perfectly good parts.
You might make a good point... but what good does it do to tell the sales manager that? You either want your door fixed, and your expensive car to lock...or you want it to get stolen.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same as many more

I have the same problem on my 58 plate (B8) A4 Quattro 3.2 74000 Miles

At first it was the rear off side then Driver and last one, for now,
the passenger front

I have put up whit it for a while and have to agree that I have the impression that the colder it gets ...

But when the front passenger door stopped working and it would not open either from the outside or from the inside I got pretty scared

What if one has an accident ????
Never mind me but what about the most important person sitting next to me?

I shelled off £100 + Vat and changed the thing.

It seems that there are quite a few faulty locks across the AUDI range
The dude from Audi told me that they do sell a loot of them.

He shut up when I asked him why AUDI does not do anything about.

I have taken the door gigamagic apart and I think that all the problem is down to a simple spring.

I have bodged this as I have bended it a bit to much but it look better in the picture...

I will try the passenger door next (don't use that much)

A couple of question

Maybe others can try any opinion ?

What about Audi in Germany whit winters much colder any issues there ?

And last one

Why Audi does not do anything about it ?

Must say this will be my last Audi ever
Attached Thumbnails 2008 A4 Door Lock Problems-wp_20170215_18_19_23_pro%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 02-15-2017, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I forgot to mention that in my case the problem is purely mechanical all electrics work fine.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default problems of a different sort...

Originally Posted by Aspenger
I forgot to mention that in my case the problem is purely mechanical all electrics work fine.
I've got the opposite problem. The mechanics of the locks work fine, but the remote control unit has topped responding. Key fobs seem okay and all fuses are present and correct. But I press the button and nothing happens, no noise of motor whiring etc. Any ideas on how I can diagnose / troubleshoot this, please? Details in link if 'interested.'

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25066620
Old 02-09-2021, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A4 2008

I had the same problem with the rear left door, only opened from outside then totally jammed I didnt fix it then after 6 months rear driver side started to play up followed by the driver door, could only open from inside via front passenger side door and now thats playing up too, cant get into the car, the fob works can hear thump but only the boot opens, even tried manually with key...no luck! If its a mechanical fault its weird how it effects all the doors. Crazy!!