A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 A4 Avant leaking today during rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 A4 Avant leaking today during rain

I have a 2009 A4 Avant. Today when I got in the car there was a noticeable leak coming from underneath the dash in line with the hood release. There was quite a bit of water that had pooled. The windshield has not been replaced. The car was parked on a slight downhill. I immediately called the dealer and made an appointment for tomorrow. Has anyone experienced this? My concern is 1) the leak, where is it coming from and how to fix it 2) will the water that collected have a chance to rust the floor board? Once I got going the leak stopped though the rain did not. Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Don't have an audi yet.. it's on order and have been lurking, but with other cars I have had with similar issues to yours turned out to be a clogged sunroof drain. Kind of surprising if this is the source of your leak though considering it's only a couple years old. Mine didn't clog up till the car was 6 years old, but then again, I don't use the sunroof that much either.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robsibis
My concern is 1) the leak, where is it coming from and how to fix it 2) will the water that collected have a chance to rust the floor board? Once I got going the leak stopped though the rain did not. Thoughts?
Hi Robsibis. The first thought that came to mind was something to do with the battery support not draining properly due to debris around the drain holes/slots. I tried to find where I read this, but was not able to so I could provide more/better details. Not even sure honestly if this problem is related to your B8 as I visit a bunch of different forums.

Now, if memory is serving me well, the water would accumulate in the tray and leak through a filter I think into the inside of the car. I know what I am saying is pretty vague and may not apply, but no harm in looking around your battery support to see if there is an accumulation of leaves and stuff. And oh yes, the battery tray would be almost in the middle of the firewall where you say the water is getting in.

Maybe another member can be more specific if s/he knows what I am trying to describe.

Good Luck
Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Spomm

Dealer just called, exactly. Sunroof drain backed up. They will replace under warranty. He said it is the rear sunroof drain. Odd that it empties next to the brake pedal.

Robby
Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Spomm

Dealer just called, exactly. Sunroof drain backed up. They will replace under warranty. He said it is the rear sunroof drain. Odd that it empties next to the brake pedal.

Robby
This happened to me a few years ago with my wife's allroad. The water accumulated in the passenger floor pan and drenched the carpeting. Audi has since issued a notification for the drain clog (and a warning to keep it clean) but I'm surprised to see it again in the new B8. Would have thought they figured out how to mitigate this from happening by now.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My concern is 1) the leak, where is it coming from and how to fix it 2) will the water that collected have a chance to rust the floor board? Once I got going the leak stopped though the rain did not. Thoughts?
The Old Dog was all wet with his thoughts .
Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Make the dealer handle this and verify any fixes. By verify, I mean position the car so that it's angled like the "slight downhill" that you mentioned and put a hose on it for awhile. It may not leak if it's on a level surface, like how the dealer is working on it & verifying their fix. Also make sure that they replace anything water damaged.

I know first hand that leaks can be very tricky to troubleshoot and fix.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Spomm
Dealer just called, exactly. Sunroof drain backed up.
I have always maintained and will continue to maintain that sunroofs are evil
Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spomm
Don't have an audi yet.. it's on order and have been lurking, but with other cars I have had with similar issues to yours turned out to be a clogged sunroof drain. Kind of surprising if this is the source of your leak though considering it's only a couple years old. Mine didn't clog up till the car was 6 years old, but then again, I don't use the sunroof that much either.
Audi has recalled the sunroof drains. Still have my documentation on it. Secondly, if you have water accumulated on your floor boards, chances are the carpeting/insulation crap will absorb most of it. I have a sunroof leak in my Jeep, and same thing happened. LUCKILY, i have heavy duty floor mats that absorbed most of it, but you have to vacuum the **** out of the carpet. Don't hesitate to go back and do it again. Air freshener is your friend too Audi should be fixing your problem at no cost to you. This is NOT YOUR FAULT!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by teamdaraptor
Audi has recalled the sunroof drains. Still have my documentation on it. Secondly, if you have water accumulated on your floor boards, chances are the carpeting/insulation crap will absorb most of it. I have a sunroof leak in my Jeep, and same thing happened. LUCKILY, i have heavy duty floor mats that absorbed most of it, but you have to vacuum the **** out of the carpet. Don't hesitate to go back and do it again. Air freshener is your friend too Audi should be fixing your problem at no cost to you. This is NOT YOUR FAULT!
Is your documentation for the 2009 A4?

Quick Reply: 2009 A4 Avant leaking today during rain