A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 A4 Downshifting Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
For example, I approach a 4-way stop and slow down as if I'm about to make a complete stop, but then proceed without fully stopping. The car shudders upon acceleration.
Hehe, maybe that's been deliberately programmed into the transmission by the safety nannies to encourage drivers to come to a complete stop at stop signs. Or this is an unintended consequence or side effect of "normal" transmission programming that the Germans never expected us to encounter because they assumed all Americans follow the law.

Maybe this is why Audi won't give us the DSG, LOL.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audi4075
I have noticed that when I come to a stop and the automatic transmission downshifts to 1st gear, there is a bit of a clunk. It isn't something that you can hear, but the transition to the gear is not very smooth. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on how it can be fixed?
You're not alone. I've noticed the same thing in my car. I was planning to have the dealership look it over at the first service.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember seeing a posting about this problem (jerk during acceleration while coming to a stop, ie accelerate during the downshift from 2nd to 1st gear).

Someone mention they had it fix with a TSB software update.
I spent an hour search and can't find it (I wonder if it was AudiWorld or another forum?!?!).

Anyone seen it?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

mine 2.0Tq P+ Sport /APR does that too ^^ feels cheap actually
Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wkeyau
I remember seeing a posting about this problem (jerk during acceleration while coming to a stop, ie accelerate during the downshift from 2nd to 1st gear).

I spent an hour search and can't find it (I wonder if it was AudiWorld or another forum?!?!).

Anyone seen it?

Thanks
I just had that problem fixed. At 5000 miles, I went to the dealership for service and they updated a software or something. I still have to bring the car back in for a control arm replacement, but once I get my summary I'll post details.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone seen it?

Thanks
That could have been my post, but mine was relating to the rpm's dropping and the car shuttering right before the car came to a stop. This was back in 2004 and for a CVT. The dealer reprogrammed something and the problem improved about 50%.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Would you kindly share the TSB #?
Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by HAWC1506
I just had that problem fixed. At 5000 miles, I went to the dealership for service and they updated a software or something. I still have to bring the car back in for a control arm replacement, but once I get my summary I'll post details.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I noticed this on my 09. I would attempt a slow, rolling stop and just as the car was about to stop it would downshift to 1st with a bit of a jolt. After about 300miles I was about to take it to the dealer when it stopped happening. 1500 miles later it still stops smoothly... I'll bring it up on my first service.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Would you kindly share the TSB #?
Thanks very much.
I will once I get the summary back. But really, this problem is fixable, and the dealers should know about it.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 02 1.8tq had similar clunk in rolling traffic after owning it a couple years. Dealer replaced the rear antiroll bar under a service bulletin. Issue went away afterwards.

Quick Reply: 2009 A4 Downshifting Question