A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2012/13 Models - Disabling turn indicator LED DRL cutoff..?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012/13 Models - Disabling turn indicator LED DRL cutoff..?

Hi there
It is nice coming back to this forum after a hiatus of 14 years (back in the day when it was Jason Teller's A4.org site. I recently trade in my 15 year old A4 (2.8 V6, 12 valve quattro) for the A4 allroad Premium plus with Navi , B&O with Advance key options. It has been fun experimenting the car and have been pleasantly surprised with the low end torque on that car.
The one minor annoyance is the way the LED Daytime Running Lights shuts off whenever the turn indicator light on the same side is switched on. It takes away from the unique image of the shape of the LED DRLs and to the novice it appears that LED is broken when the indicator is turned on. I understand that this was due to a US requirement that the turn indicator must be brighter than the DRLs . My observation indicates that the turn signals are very clear and bright and are not overshadowed by the DRLs.
The question out there to the forum is if anyone else finds this problematic and has found a way to disable that function (perhaps a change of a fuse..??) I have searched the forum for the same question but have not found similar posts

Thanks in advance

K-Man
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I don't have a B8 yet, I have been doing a bunch of research prior to purchasing a 2013 and have read about the attached:

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagComEXLight.html

The VAG Com is a cable that connects your car to a computer and allows you to change certain settings. The link has the specific one you are talking about as well as a few others related to exterior lighting. There are also other changes on the site. From what I've read so far, the B8 changes also apply to the B8.5 (2013) models.

If you post in your regional forum, you may be able to hook up with someone who has the cable to make the change for you.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Steamer
Although I don't have a B8 yet, I have been doing a bunch of research prior to purchasing a 2013 and have read about the attached:

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagComEXLight.html

The VAG Com is a cable that connects your car to a computer and allows you to change certain settings. The link has the specific one you are talking about as well as a few others related to exterior lighting. There are also other changes on the site. From what I've read so far, the B8 changes also apply to the B8.5 (2013) models.

If you post in your regional forum, you may be able to hook up with someone who has the cable to make the change for you.

Good luck.
Steamer,
Thank you very much for your response. I will certainly take your advise and check the regional forums

Thanks again...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-man
Steamer,
Thank you very much for your response. I will certainly take your advise and check the regional forums

Thanks again...
If you post where you're located, maybe a fellow AW reader will offer to use theirs.

Or you could use this locator:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-in-the-thread
Old 12-12-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Disabling LED DRL when indicator is turned on - it worked..!

Steamer,
Just wanted to let you know that your suggestion worked. I took the car to my local mechanic with VAG and he did it after talking to the Ross-Tech folks for a couple of hours ... I got charged 2 hours and it looks great... Check out the pic..

Thanks

K-Man
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Or try asking their local dealer service advisor to do it and pay the 1-2 hours of their time. It is about building long-term relationships.

Or hook up with members to help out. Either way, it looks like you got it.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Or try asking their local dealer service advisor to do it and pay the 1-2 hours of their time. It is about building long-term relationships.

Or hook up with members to help out. Either way, it looks like you got it.
Thanks..I was afraid to approach dealers as I thought vag com changes were frowned upon

Cheers