A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2013 A4 Hwy Vibration Issue (Tried all usual Fixes)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this year i upgraded to an a 2015 s4 and found tgat it gad the same problem, although not as severe. i went to the same alignment shop and that fixed it! since then, ive also bought a 2017 q7 for the family and that has been super smooth right out of the gate. assuming the fatter tire wall plus the suspensionnot being as sensitive leads to the more cushy ride.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi shaking at all speeds.

I have an audi a4. My car was driving just fine around the 40-60 mph range. While I was speeding up on the highway i would say somewhere around 60-65 mph it started shaking. Ive had the misfiring problem before and replaced all 4 of my coils with brand new ones and that solved the problem. But I'm noticing some differences, 1st off the shaking is happening at all speeds and at all rpms, while when i had the coil problem it was only around 2000 rpms it would shake. this shaking also feels different i feel it in my seat and is very uncomfortable, while previous shaking felt more so like it was coming from the engine. Im thinking it may have something to do with my tires? I just find it weird that the car was driving fine until i was getting on the highway, and since the shaking started it has not stopped no matter the speed.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jdjames010
I have an audi a4. My car was driving just fine around the 40-60 mph range. While I was speeding up on the highway i would say somewhere around 60-65 mph it started shaking. Ive had the misfiring problem before and replaced all 4 of my coils with brand new ones and that solved the problem. But I'm noticing some differences, 1st off the shaking is happening at all speeds and at all rpms, while when i had the coil problem it was only around 2000 rpms it would shake. this shaking also feels different i feel it in my seat and is very uncomfortable, while previous shaking felt more so like it was coming from the engine. Im thinking it may have something to do with my tires? I just find it weird that the car was driving fine until i was getting on the highway, and since the shaking started it has not stopped no matter the speed.
my guess is that if it's vibrating at all speeds, it's probably not (just) imbalanced tires. could be engine mounts or perhaps the timing is still off?
Old 10-28-2017, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

My 2014 A4 Quattro. Went through much of the above, Finally got a permanent fix. Driver side front wheel had a defective wheel bearing. Bearing replaced & all is SMOOTH again.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update: noticed pressure was building up in the engine and CEL reader was saying multiple misfires and a vacuum leak. Replaced the PCV and the pressure problem in the engine was gone. However CEL was still reading a misfire. Car still shakes in idle and shakes worse on throttle. Replaced coils and plugs. Still shaking. Car does not shake while coasting though. I’m thinking HPFP or carbon build up. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Bob - a couple of minor clarifications: it's road force balancing and the tires are not dismounted - the tire bead is disengaged from the wheel while still mounted. The Hunter balancing machine computer measures the road force in pounds and will indicate to the operator where the least amount of road force will be by rotating or "matching" the tire to the rim.

The operator does the road force balance test, and if matching is needed, marks the tire and wheel as indicated by the machine's computer, lets the air out of the tire, pops the tire bead from the wheel, turns it on the wheel to match the marks, fills it back up and retests. Audi claims a wheel/tire is in spec if the road force is 20 lbs or less. If a tire/wheel combo cannot be force balanced to at least that spec, vibrations are virtually guaranteed. (The tire is usually the culprit if it can't be force balanced under 20 lbs).

Lots of good info and videos here:
http://www.hunter.com

Note that most, if not all, Audi service depts. these days, have a Hunter force balancing machine. Any good dedicated tire shop shop will also have one. Typically, force balancing runs about $25-$35 per wheel, roughly double that of a standard high speed balance.
Not trying to necrobump here, but I have similar problems I've been chasing of my own.

IIRC, spec is actually 15#. That being said, I wouldn't settle for anything less than 10 (this is considered spec for Lexus - VERY SMOOTH).

It boggles my mind that Audi can have just one number for spec and apply it to all their vehicles. If you have touring tires or something of that nature, you can probably get away with 15-20#. If you have an RS model or something with low profile summer tires, you'll feel anything over 10#.

This has been my experience as the original owner of a 2013 TT RS with 56k miles.