A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2015 A4 vs A3/S3 - maintenance/reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 A4 vs A3/S3 - maintenance/reliability?

My '04 B6 is coming up on 150k and its time for an upgrade. This has been an extremely reliable car and I hope my next one is the same. I'm having a hard time determining which car to go with as I like/dislike things about both.

Reliability and maintenance I keep coming back to - A4 with a manual has minimal computer involvement in the transmission and Torsen differential and neither component has 'scheduled' maintenance. A3 has heavy computer involvement by comparison and routine servicing on the Haldex and DSG is required. Combined with it being a brand new platform I worry about 'new model issues' that weren't caught in testing. B8 started on a bad foot as is now near then end of its life so I'd hope (and it sounds like) most those issues have been resolved.

A3 I've not seen anything specifically recurring yet but its barely been out ~6 months. However I do like the interior better and the seats seem I fit me better where as the A4 interior is getting a bit long in the tooth and doesn't seem like the fit and finish is quite as solid as the A3. Also with the options I'm looking at you can get a similarly equipped S3 for the price.

Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work p/t as a driver at a large Audi dealer, so I routinely drive most all of the Audi models. I am not impressed with the A3 - especially considering the price. The A4 is
much more of a car and feels considerably more solid when driving it on a variety of roads.
The manuals work very easily, but the 8-speed automatics are also excellent - smooth and a good delivery of power. If I were spending nearly 40k on a new vehicle, I would select an new A4 over an A3 in a heartbeat.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by shs92645
If I were spending nearly 40k on a new vehicle, I would select an new A4 over an A3 in a heartbeat.
+1.

While I've only sat in the new A3 car, I believe my decision would be the same. The price points are simply too close.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:15 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

I had A3 as a loaner for a couple of weeks. The new A3 is a blast to drive. It is light and handling is great.

However, it is inferior to the current A4 in just about everything else. Visibility is terrible and ergonomics are so-so - it is just cramped inside. Also, it's a 40K car once properly equipped and interior is just plain cheap. The passenger seat is fully manual and there is no homelink.

I would wait until the next generation A4 - if the platform is like the new A3 it is going to be a major upgrade from B8.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dk1
I would wait until the next generation A4 - if the platform is like the new A3 it is going to be a major upgrade from B8.
In ideal world yes - however the stars aren't aligning. The amount of maintence my B6 is going to require to hang on to it a another year or two is hard to justify when cost will likely approach or exceed its value. Timing belt, serpantine, waterpump, valve cover gasket, probably cam seals, various parts of the PCV system, shocks, brakes, and clutch - still on the original at 145600. The heater core plugs every 6 months or so with all the debris in the coolant system that I can't seem to get out even with repeated flushing of the entire system. Those are the known items who knows what else will creep up.

I've also debated the idea of a short term lease but thats forieng territory to me.

I agree the A3 is fun to drive but there's something missing without having and traditional manual. Also I do have to keep reminding myself at its core its really just a flashy Golf Sedan (yet to be released Jetta) with an R's AWD system - not that they're bad, but they can be had for a lot less.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven several 2015 A4's at work and they are really nice. This model has been around long enough so that most of the bugs are gone. There was a noticeable improvement in the car beginning in 2013 - more than just the styling changes. I disagree that you should wait for the B9 because then you are back in the "new model" issue that seems to plague Audis.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

" I disagree that you should wait for the B9 because then you are back in the "new model" issue that seems to plague Audis."

I agree with you entirely SHS. I pulled the trigger on a 2014 lightly used and loaded Allroad last month, for that very reason.

Sure the new A4 will arrive here in a year or so, but how many years before it's sorted.

The current A4 is well-sorted, reliable and an excellent car.