A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 B8.5 2013 facelift model advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 B8.5 2013 facelift model advice

Hi i am looking to buy a 2013 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI Quattro facelift model and hoping that someone is able to clarify a few things please. Engine model is CDNC, 211hp, 155kw, transmission NRW(7a).
I have read a lot of conflicting information online and am having difficulty finding any information from audi. I have read that this is the B8.5 2nd gen model but have also seen other reviews saying this specific engine is the first gen which i def do not want. I have read that the issue with the pistons was fixed in the facelift model but again can find nothing from the manufacturer stating this. Have also seen that there could be issues with the timing chain sensor, which was resolved sometime in 2013 but not sure if this particular one was one of the ones this was resolved in and seems difficult to find out. Is there another way to check this? eg from the VIN or checking recalls? The car has relatively low kms (60k km) and regular services with no issues so far but am worried it will start when kms get higher. Do mechanical warranties cover any of these problems should they arise? I do a lot of kms on the open road so won't take much ti ger kms up. This particular model was manufactured in Germany.
Any advive would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the USA, the gen2 engines have piston ring issues. I have replaced them in 2015-2009 engines. If that issue is fixed, install a new main chain and tensioner and probably water pump.... drive and enjoy. If the car has had the pistons updated, you have a solid chance.
gl,
chris
Old 01-23-2022, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,616 Posts

CDNC (EU emissions version) = CAEB (US emissions version) = gas only longitudinal EA888 Gen2 2.0T. The flex fuel versions are CFKA (EU) or CPMA (US). And all of them come with the piston ring design that can develop the massive oil consumption issue. No, B8.5 did not resolve anything in this regard, unless you are in a market where they switched to the Gen3 CNCD engine. As for the tensioner, no 2013 should have the original tensioner design. But checking the state of the tensioner extension is always an ownership event you have to do on any chain drive engine.

But at only 60k km, it's very unlikely that engine had anything done in regards to the rings. So has it already developed an oil consumption? Is it about the start? Will it never happen on that one? You cannot know until you're already knee deep in it.
The following users liked this post:
punkncat (01-23-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
CDNC (EU emissions version) = CAEB (US emissions version) = gas only longitudinal EA888 Gen2 2.0T. The flex fuel versions are CFKA (EU) or CPMA (US). And all of them come with the piston ring design that can develop the massive oil consumption issue. No, B8.5 did not resolve anything in this regard, unless you are in a market where they switched to the Gen3 CNCD engine. As for the tensioner, no 2013 should have the original tensioner design. But checking the state of the tensioner extension is always an ownership event you have to do on any chain drive engine.

But at only 60k km, it's very unlikely that engine had anything done in regards to the rings. So has it already developed an oil consumption? Is it about the start? Will it never happen on that one? You cannot know until you're already knee deep in it.
so true ...... and once you are in it, it is such a nightmare.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JamJam
Hi i am looking to buy a 2013 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI Quattro facelift model and hoping that someone is able to clarify a few things please. Engine model is CDNC, 211hp, 155kw, transmission NRW(7a).
I have read a lot of conflicting information online and am having difficulty finding any information from audi. I have read that this is the B8.5 2nd gen model but have also seen other reviews saying this specific engine is the first gen which i def do not want. I have read that the issue with the pistons was fixed in the facelift model but again can find nothing from the manufacturer stating this. Have also seen that there could be issues with the timing chain sensor, which was resolved sometime in 2013 but not sure if this particular one was one of the ones this was resolved in and seems difficult to find out. Is there another way to check this? eg from the VIN or checking recalls? The car has relatively low kms (60k km) and regular services with no issues so far but am worried it will start when kms get higher. Do mechanical warranties cover any of these problems should they arise? I do a lot of kms on the open road so won't take much ti ger kms up. This particular model was manufactured in Germany.
Any advive would be greatly appreciated thanks.
i had to completely rebuild my 2014 2 weeks after i bought it due to one litre usage in 300km. The chain was stretched beyond reasonable also ( bought it with 220K km on it ) fully dealer serviced.

But after rebuild it has been a great car.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the 2013 A5 w/ the CPMA engine. At 112K+ miles, doesn't burn a drop of oil. Chain stretch according to phase adaptation is about -3 degree. So I've got about -2 degrees to go.

I change my oil every 8K initially. Switched over to about every 4K when the engine was around 80K. 50/50 highway/city. Mobil 1 0W-40 FS for the first 80K or so. LiquiMoly/Mobil 1 since then. I used LiquiMoly engine flush once about 20k milles ago.

When I changed my upper timing chain cover recently, everything looks brand new.... no sludge and no varnish.

I don't really drive it hard. Just normal to keep up with traffic and some bursts of speed to pass on the freeway.