A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all:
Print Wikipost

A4 B8 CVT Transmission Reliability Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfs
Ouch!! That sucks. I also purchased a CVT in March and have 3,000 miles on it. No issues yet but all this talk is freaking me out. Did you experience any other issues besides noise? Any gear issues?
I have a few things going on. The issue they diagnosed as the transmission was a noise that would come and go sort of like road surface noise, but it didn't coincide with changes in road surface. I though it sounded like a bad wheel bearing. In the last few days, a passenger could feel vibration in the right floor board when it was making the noise. I also noticed that my acceleration wasn't as good for the last few days before it went in for service.

Another possible separate issue is that sometimes when I back out of a parking place and turn the wheel full right, there is a sound from the left front wheel area that sounds like rubber on rubber. On other cars a similar sound usually meant low power steering fluid or a bad pump, but they haven't diagnosed it yet. It only happens for me once every couple of days, but is getting worse, so it should be easy to diagnose soon.

When they delivered the car, it had flat spots on the tires that they said were caused by it being stored for several months without the tires being properly high-inflated for storage, so they installed new tires before I ever drove it. That sounded logical, so I didn't worry about it at the time.

Other than these issues, I love the car, but this CVT issue has me pretty concerned about the future.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by austin audi guys
I have a few things going on. The issue they diagnosed as the transmission was a noise that would come and go sort of like road surface noise, but it didn't coincide with changes in road surface. I though it sounded like a bad wheel bearing. In the last few days, a passenger could feel vibration in the right floor board when it was making the noise. I also noticed that my acceleration wasn't as good for the last few days before it went in for service.

Another possible separate issue is that sometimes when I back out of a parking place and turn the wheel full right, there is a sound from the left front wheel area that sounds like rubber on rubber. On other cars a similar sound usually meant low power steering fluid or a bad pump, but they haven't diagnosed it yet. It only happens for me once every couple of days, but is getting worse, so it should be easy to diagnose soon.

When they delivered the car, it had flat spots on the tires that they said were caused by it being stored for several months without the tires being properly high-inflated for storage, so they installed new tires before I ever drove it. That sounded logical, so I didn't worry about it at the time.

Other than these issues, I love the car, but this CVT issue has me pretty concerned about the future.
Well, it appears that the issue isn't from ware and tare on the tranny but a badly manufactured tranny. I think most of the concerns about CVT are that they breakdown after couple of years. I think you just got a bad apple right off the bat. Sorry but I think once you get it replaced, you should be fine. Call AOA and bitch. Keep us posted.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I went back to quattro because of the fact I wanted a 3.2 V6 and Audi was not offering it with the 3.2 engine.
I must admit that the guy who purchased my CVT had significant problems about 14 moths after the purchase. Audi didn't help in the manor that they should have and he has sold the car. From all that I have read about Audi's CVT issues I have no plans of a future CVT purchased.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RoyM
I must admit that the guy who purchased my CVT had significant problems about 14 moths after the purchase.
Better him than you?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

=( happened to my 2009 a4 2.0t cvt. audi had to replace the transmission. started with road noise from the front. took two weeks to get the car back, but it is running like new. will not buy a cvt model ever again.