A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Anyone have MMI bugs ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have MMI bugs ?

About two months ago I noticed a few periodic malfunctions with the MMI. The malfunctions seem minor, occur right after start-up and are corrected by turning the car off, then on again.

Periodic malfunctions I've had:
- No audio from Radio or iPOD link (happened three times in past month and a half);
- b/u camera does not work (happened several times in the past month).
- not MMI related but; Side Assist Failure (infrequently occurs - this is corrected by resetting the SA).

I get the MMI system is pretty high tech stuff so like any similar system (i.e. computer, iPOD etc.) there's bound to be little bugs every now and then. But, I do plan to let the dealer know about this at next servicing so in prep for that I'm trying to understand how common, or not, these type of little malfunctions are.

So let me know, folks... Do you have similar bugs with your MMI ?

Thanks for your help, everyone !
Old 08-02-2013, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Like most computers, they can lose their way once in a while. I've found if I get these kinds of issues, I do a reboot of the MMI which seems to be a deeper reset than just turning the ignition off and on. Kind of like a complete reboot vs. a restart on a computer.

Simultaneously press Menu button+Center ****+upper right function button. All settings are maintained.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's your battery? During starting a huge current flows to the starter motor. If there is a problem with the battery being sulfated or the charging system not up to par because of a temperamental regulator or pulley bearing the voltage might drop into the 8 volt area during cranking. This might brown-out the microprocessors in the entertainment system. This could cause unintended operation of the MMI world.

A competent shop has the tools to evaluate the battery and charging system. It is not something you can do with a multimeter.

It could also be as simple as a loose ground connection (there are lots of them, so finding the culprit is not easy.)
Old 08-03-2013, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

My b/u camera occasionally doesn't work, but I can't say I've ever noticed the other issues. Though I don't use an ipod, almost always play straight from SD cards. I did have an issue ONCE where I turned the car on and there was nothing but EXTREMELY loud static coming out of only the rear surround speakers. No volume adjustments didn't change it, changing inputs didn't change it, all I could do was turn it off. Later in the day, it fixed itself.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Every once in a while, the stereo doesn't recognize the iPod input, but I can't tell if it's the iPod or the car, since the iPod (160gb classic) will freeze up on its own a few times a year.

I've been having backup cam issues intermittently for the past 2 years. This week it has been particularly buggy, with flickering/failing about half the time. I've mentioned it to the dealer a few times and they never really told me that they had diagnosed the issue. But maybe a year ago, they replaced a data cable and it worked flawlessly for months.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've seen the Backup camera not come one or take a long time to come on... every now and then the audio works just fine, but you can't change chanels... a reboot solves that.

My biggest issue is that when you try to input a destination by voice into the navigation, it doesn't give you the city choices by "nearest"... ie, I live in Atlanta, GA and when I say Atlanta, I have to scroll to page 2 or 3 to find Atlanta, GA... you'd think they would list stuff by closest distance..
Old 08-26-2013, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The MMI in my car seems to hate my 5th gen iPod. When I turn the car on, it usually says "No Playable Media Found on Connected Device". The 3-finger salute usually fixes the problem.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just thought I'd close the loop on this one by sharing what the outcome was to my MMI problems with the dealer.

There were no fault codes in the sound system nor could they replicate the 'screeching' noise we've experienced a couple times with the audio. Chalk that up to an electronic bug i guess.

But... they did find a faulty control module with the back-up camera. They replaced it and, looking at the work order, a control unit under warranty and since then (a couple months now) the b/u camera works flawlessly - problem solved !

So...don't be so quick to dismiss occasional b/u cam problems to pesky 'bugs' in the system; there could be a faulty part to blame.

Last edited by fireguy40; 11-23-2013 at 04:05 PM.