A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

anyone installed brake ducting for airflow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone installed brake ducting for airflow?

Has anyone figured out how to install ducts from the front valence to the wheel wells to cool down the brakes? I would be willing to sacrifice my fog lights.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did...It wasn't easy but i think the result was pretty good especially since i did it all myself and had never worked with fiber before.

I had installed the RS5 BBK on my car and added the VW Phaeton brake airscoops. I had to adjust the brake plate a bit and make custom brackets for the scoops but that was not hard.

I was a bit affraid the scoop entrance wasn't low enough to catch air, i decided to make my own custom air ducts behind the stock OEM fog grills. I kept my fog lights (actually replaced them with Skoda LED foglights). Basicly i cutted out the backshield of the foggrills and keeping the vertical slots. Mounted a fine mesh grill between it so small stuff couldn't enter the duck.

*At the same time i installed and modified an OEM RS grill.

Then came the hardest part, making the custom ducks. The main problem is, you don't have that much room inside (oil lines, intercooler pipes, small and tight place). I also had the eurocode intercooler with the bigger pipes, so that took some place aswell but after making a foam mold and testfitting it several times...
Foam isn't ideally i had to find out (melts under the high curing temps of fiber, putted a plaster layer wish helped a bit). Anyway, in the end i made relative decent dusks that fitted the foggrill surround and fitted inside with an outlet on the inside of the wheel arc more or less on the same height of the brake scoops. Again keep in mind i had never worked with these product before and had no reference...

I painted he inside and outside black. From the outside it is almost not visible there are ducks isntalled.

Pro's:
- OEM look based on stock grills.
- Cools the brakes (i hope) and probebly reduces air drag on the front a bit.
- 'Cool' feature that isn't that visible.

Cons:
- Pretty work intensive to make (on other guy recently asked a shop to make some and he got quoted 500$ for the ducks only).

In the end i was happy with the result and the fact i made everything myself .
Good luck.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for the typos (apperently i caan't edit my post once it is posted).
Anyway, for more info, feel free to pm me or check out my complete build thread on audizine (i did several other custom mods):
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...s-B8-avant-WIP