A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi=Volkswagen

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by av_audi
Exactly, although that may have to be said with reservations of the latest US-version of the Jetta.
No doubt. Many are of ashamed of the amount of stripping they've had to do to get the car to hit that "Corolla" pricepoint.

Did you notice they've returned to rear drum brakes on most models? That's shameful and would INSTANTLY eliminate the car from contention should I be shopping for something in that price range....[mumbling to self] How many cars in the USA are fitted with drum brakes ? ....[/mumbling to self]
Old 06-03-2011, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by av_audi
If his Passat is a B5/5.5, then that statement is mostly true vis a vis the B5 A4. The B5 Passat has the same longitudinal engine layout, same front control arms, same shifter, etc. Almost every non-cosmetic part is stamped Audi/VW. The B5/5.5 Passat is essentially a stretched B5 A4, with dimensions between an A4 and A6. The main difference is the humbler interior for the base model.
I realize that the Passat and A4 once shared a platform. However, he was stating that my B8 A4 was the same as his Passat, which is untrue regardless of the Passat model year.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an odd discussion and most likely originate from jelousy or buyers remorse. The B8 A4 and the Passat are very different cars, just drive the two and it's rather clear. Sure, they both come with a 2.0T, are of the same family, about the same size and well planted on the road. But that's it for similarities in my view. (PS, I own a 2008 Passat Wagon and 2011 B8 Wagon)
Old 06-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cmhohioman
I just bought a new 2011 Audi A4 (8-speed transmission) and a gentleman I know stated that Audi's were just glorified Volkswagens....Is this true? Same parts....
Perhaps you can suggest the gentleman you know to take this analogy even further and call a Bugatti Veyron a glorified Golf GTI.

His logic would apply here as well.

Just a thought…
Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhohioman
I just bought a new 2011 Audi A4 (8-speed transmission) and a gentleman I know stated that Audi's were just glorified Volkswagens....Is this true? Same parts....
Congratulations to that gentleman. He knew what to say to wind you up and now it's hooked a load on the forum to!

hahahaha
Old 06-04-2011, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

15 years ago, more so. Today, hardly. Anyone who says a generalized statement like that today isn't in tune with current trends.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the examples you guys use are a bit off. Lexus is only Lexus in America and I think Germany. Everywhere else ALL Toyotas and Lexuses are Toyotas. Same for Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura. It's badge engineering, nothing more.

Up until this year, the Passat/CC/A4 DID share a common platform and calling an A4 a glorified Passat/CC was not far off the mark. Even the quality of the parts used is pretty much a dead heat. Also, they similarities go FAR beyond simply "the odd crankshaft, switches and *****". Entire engines and trannies are used across VAGs entire lineup, to include Skoda and SEAT. Suspensions share a TON of parts as well. Even most of the seats are so similar that the only thing changed on them is the mounting method (rails).

I kknow with this being an Audi site people are going to want to justify their purchases but the simple fact is that VWs and Audis have much more in common than most "enthusiasts" want to admit.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Some of the examples you guys use are a bit off. Lexus is only Lexus in America and I think Germany. Everywhere else ALL Toyotas and Lexuses are Toyotas. Same for Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura. It's badge engineering, nothing more.
That's true about Nissan/Infinity and Honda/Accura. Lexus is Lexus around the world nowadays.

There is nothing wrong with brands having low-end and high-end offerings. It's the word "glorified" that is the problem for me.
There will always be parts sharing. The key is what the overall package delivers.
I was shopping for a sedan 4 years ago and at that time the last gen Passat looked very appealing to me from a price and looks standpoint until I drove one. I was extremely disappointed. The interior looked very low quality - those gray dotted plasticy inlays and that key fob with with visible seams from the plastic molding - ugh. Too much body roll in the corners... Totally disappointed. The Jetta's interior was better at that time (the new Jetta is a total disappointment though).
I bought an IS250 for my wife back then. There was no comparison between the two and yeah, there was a $10k difference. Now I have a 2011 A4 and the price of it is 3k higher than that of the IS250, but it's so much better that I'd never ever buy a Lexus again. The mpg is 10% better, there is less noise in the cabin, it's more spacious, it's 2s faster 0-60, the fit and finish is perfect (2mm gaps in the Lexus at places), the stability system actually works in the snow, the potholes are less noticeable...
The point is that in the offerings of every manufacturer, different price points mean different quality and performance. It's also true that there is an inflection point, beyond which the price hardly justifies what you get. That inflection point depends on the shopper to a large extent and if they can't tell leather from leatherette, don't notice gaps between the panels, noise, handling issues, etc., that inflection point is very low to them.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default B8 vs CC

I liked the 2009-2010 CC a lot but for $5k more I got Quattro and the newer generation engine. Went with Audi.

VW dealers anywhere near Boston are infamous. Really really bad. That helped me select the A4.

The CC is the better looking car with better looking and better laid out cockpit.

I do believe Audi retained some separate identity and existence after its acquisition by VW. VW did not "amalgamize" them, they were left as a distinct entity. They are not independent but they do make their own products within VW's overall alignment.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
Congratulations to that gentleman. He knew what to say to wind you up and now it's hooked a load on the forum to!

hahahaha

Quick Reply: Audi=Volkswagen