A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Avant owners sign in

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I too think the Q5 is less money, FWIW, than an A4 Avant. . .
The A4 Avant starts at 35,940 for Premium and
the Q5 is $35,200.

Is $700 for an unloaded vehicle really going to sway you in another direction?
Let me answer my own question. No.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
The A4 Avant starts at 35,940 for Premium and
the Q5 is $35,200.

Is $700 for an unloaded vehicle really going to sway you in another direction?
Let me answer my own question. No.
Let me double check you....hmmm save $700 (assuming a stripper like you mentioned) and I can have a Q5? But wait, I still have to look at it so that means I'm gonna need a prescription for anti-nausea meds... I think that may end up soaking up that $700 pretty fast.

As far as S-Lines not being sold...again it must be a location thing.. In California, forget trying to get a deal on one. They are in WAY TOO HIGH DEMAND. People will get involved in bidding wars over them. Few people want to wait for a delivery of an ordered car. I see S-Lines all the time... According to AudiDriver magazine, less than 5% of Audis are in S-Line trim so I think the reason that you can't find them is because Californians buy more than half the global allotment. In Southern California, it's even worse. Good luck finding a stripper (the car) Audi anywhere in the state.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Where in Nor Cal are you? I moved to Sacramento in 85, got stationed at Beale in 03, and then to Germany in 09.

I agree, there have been more and more wagons that SUVs in the last few years.

I don't know about NEEDING a manual, but I LIKE manuals. It's a more involving drive. I had a DSG in my GTI and it worked well, it just wasn't as much fun as my Passat variant, GLI, Jetta, or Rabbit were.

I had the OOOOOLD Tip in my 99 Passat sedan (2.8 V6) and it was fine in there too. Having said that, I think the Tip will be fine in the Avant, especially with the paddles. In fact, your comments to me were one of the reasons I felt that it would be ok. We'll see how it goes with the 8-speed.

On a totally unrelated topic, is that Infineon Raceway in your pic? I heard a Ferrari club having a track day there when we were wine-tasting (well, the wife was, I hate wine) at the vineyard across the freeway from there.
I live in Belvedere, a little "island" attached to Tiburon across the Bay from Sausalito. I used to go fishing up at Beale AFB with one of the guys from work. What a beautiful base.

I was sure that I needed a MT for my Avant and am actually glad that it is tip now that I have explored it a bit at the track. The funny thing is I was at a PCA event recently and took the Avant instead of the Porsche(the two syllable kind ) since it was raining and I let a few fellows try it. The older they were, the more difficulty they had adjusting to paddle shifting...just something I noticed that I thought was curious.

I fully understand and appreciate how much more engaging in the driving experience, a MT is. Thats what I have other cars for... The Avant was just meant as a daily driver/beater but I fell in love with it. I have more fun driving it than I do my Alfa Romeo or Porsche in most situations. Given a great mountain/coastal road with little/no traffic and I will definitely choose the Alfa Romeo. Track days, typically the Porsche but sometimes the E55 (aka my track taxi). But now the Avant has been seeing a fair bit of track time.

The funny thing is that I bought the Avant mainly for my wife and she never drove it so I started and I'm hooked.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gkgeiger
With my life style the wagon was a no brainer. Now if it ever shows up I'll be happy.
Sorry, what was the question?

Greetings from sunny (but bloody cold and freezing)Manitoba.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
Let me double check you....hmmm save $700 (assuming a stripper like you mentioned) and I can have a Q5? But wait, I still have to look at it so that means I'm gonna need a prescription for anti-nausea meds... I think that may end up soaking up that $700 pretty fast.

As far as S-Lines not being sold...again it must be a location thing.. In California, forget trying to get a deal on one. They are in WAY TOO HIGH DEMAND. People will get involved in bidding wars over them. Few people want to wait for a delivery of an ordered car. I see S-Lines all the time... According to AudiDriver magazine, less than 5% of Audis are in S-Line trim so I think the reason that you can't find them is because Californians buy more than half the global allotment. In Southern California, it's even worse. Good luck finding a stripper (the car) Audi anywhere in the state.
The funny thing is I live just outside of Chicago and bought my CPO Avant from Audi Mission Viejo in California. =)
Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
The funny thing is I live just outside of Chicago and bought my CPO Avant from Audi Mission Viejo in California. =)
That's what I'm talking about. Did you drive it back or have it delivered?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Three yrs ago no dealer would spec an Avant in SUV-loving Texas. Had to custom order at full sticker. Then gas price spiked and A4 Avants showed up on lots (but not A6). Then Q5 introduced and Avants vanished. I swithced from A6 Avant to A4 Avant early 09 mainly because of price difference. A4 so much more fun to drive but really miss back seat leg room and cargo area of A6. Was considering going back to A6 in 2012, but read they may not even offer it in US due to lack of demand. Pity.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Love my premium Avant w/SS ... Sline looks did nothing for me being the 2T motor was the same. Great car
Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another wagon lover here currently shopping the A4 Avant. Not sure I can pull the trigger though as I just can't get over the fact that they killed the S4 Avant for us in the US. I've grown up loving sporty wagons and I am finally in a place in my life financially that I can afford one and they axe it. I'm just gutted.

I currently drive a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon with a manual transmission (the only year they offered the combo since they brought the turbo Legacy back to the US). Subaru has even killed their manual offerings AND their wagons. Sorry I don't consider an Outback a wagon, it's an SUV, especially the new ones, and the Impreza has always been a hatchback to me even though they used to call it a wagon (now it's simply a "5 door").

Anyway, I'm enjoying reading your discussion, especially the back and forth between Sundowner and QUA77RO.

If I keep reading how much QUA77RO likes his wagon I may be convinced I could like one without a stick. Of course I would probably have to let STASSIS have their way with it too as I've got my Leggy mildly modded and just love the look of a dual exhaust and the feel of ~300hp/tq under the hood.

Of course I keep holding out hope that AoA will see the light and return the S4 Avant to our shores. Yes, I'm a dreamer.

Cheers!

Last edited by goneskiian; 12-21-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
On a totally unrelated topic, is that Infineon Raceway in your pic? I heard a Ferrari club having a track day there when we were wine-tasting (well, the wife was, I hate wine) at the vineyard across the freeway from there.
The photo in my sig was taken at Laguna Seca at Quattro de Seca last year. If I am remembering correctly, it is at the apex of turn 6.

Originally Posted by Sundowner
your statement of value is anecdotal. mine is actuarial.
Let's just agree to disagree since I'm right, anyway.

Are you talking to me? Akchuuarially, I asked my wife, she said I was right, and there is nothing anecdotal about THAT.

If it helps, when I lost my beloved 2008 Passat wagon (with a stick!!) it's was pretty much impossible to find a replacement. VW stopped offering the stick for the 2009 model year and up, and the used ones were like trying to find hen's teeth. The ones I did find were priced to sell (a stick wagon? What football loving 'merican would want that?!?) but they always sold in a blink. Still enough good people out there who recognize the rarity and the value. The automatic wagons, well, those were a lot easier to find since they tended to collect dust while languishing in used car lot purgatory. Sorry I read it and it doesn't help but thanks for trying

The avants at my local Audi dealer would seem to be a similar theological plane of existence based on the same cars sitting in the same spots every time I drive by. Are the avants worth more? Yes, without doubt. But they also cost more when new, so a like depreciation rate percentage should yield a pricer used version. I'm not sure which religion you are referring to...

Honestly, I wish with all my heart that avants had insane resale value, and people lined-up out the door to buy them. Ideally, there would be jello-wrestling to score the precious few manual tranny models. Then, maybe the sight of soccer moms covered in key lime and tangerine whip would spur AoA to order more stick shift avants for the dealer lots. Personally, it would spur me to buy more jello, but I'd surely need to buy an avant to fit the quantity I'd need for my purposes.
Sorry what were you talking about? I sorta lost my focus when you mentioned jello-wrestling and tranny models in the same sentence. You have a sick and twisted mind my friend. You are ALL RIGHT.

Originally Posted by goneskiian
Another wagon lover here currently shopping the A4 Avant. Not sure I can pull the trigger though as I just can't get over the fact that they killed the S4 Avant for us in the US. I've grown up loving sporty wagons and I am finally in a place in my life financially that I can afford one and they axe it. I'm just gutted.

Anyway, I'm enjoying reading your discussion, especially the back and forth between Sundowner and QUA77RO.

If I keep reading how much QUA77RO likes his wagon I may be convinced I could like one without a stick. Of course I would probably have to let STASSIS have their way with it too as I've got my Leggy mildly modded and just love the look of a dual exhaust and the feel of ~300hp/tq under the hood.

Of course I keep holding out hope that AoA will see the light and return the S4 Avant to our shores. Yes, I'm a dreamer.

Cheers!
Subaru, subaru...where do I know that name from?... You aren't the guy who pulls along side my wife when she's driving the Evo and tries to challenge her to an impromptu rally? Naw couldn't be... She said his car STInks. This is the wagon you are looking for. Sorry didn't mean to use my Jedi Mind typing.

Last edited by QUA77R0; 12-21-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Grammar was too good. Made changes. Thanks

Quick Reply: Avant owners sign in