A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Car Won't Start!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start!! Help!!

Hi All,

I am new here and new to Audi ownership. I just got a 2011 Audi A4 with 198,000 miles. I know, a lot of miles. But for most of the year the car will be only driven on the weekends by parents because I travel for work a lot. When I got the car a few weeks ago it drove like a dream for the first few days. Then the oil pressure warning kept going off, especially after I get off the highway and got into city traffic. I went ahead and changed the oil pressure sensor, oil, oil filter, and pcv valve. That helped and the oil pressure warning hasn't come back since. But a few days later I get error code p0016, Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A, and p0299, tubrocharger underboost. The car didn't feel any different but I cleared the codes and they came back the same day. I went ahead and changed the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. This cleared both the p0016 and p0299 codes. A day later another code popped up! Code p0341,Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 or Single Sensor. I changed the camshaft adjuster magnet and that made the code go away. A few days after that codes p0016 and p0299 are back! This time the car struggles to go up hills and pull off from a complete stop there is also a oil leak coming from somewhere. I changed the turbocharger diverter to the latest revision and that did nothing. Now the car won't start! The engine will crank but will not turn over. I don't know what to do next before I go to the mechanic. Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2019, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Somehow the cam timing is either off, or the computer thinks it's off. I don't mean anything derogatory, but I'd double-check the installation of the sensors and magnet. We've all forgotten to torque a screw now and then. But I'm really wondering if the cam timing is actually changing/slipping/off. (I'm new-ish to the A4, but had an A6 for 14 years.) I think these cars have a timing chain that's "lifetime" but at 200k you may have found what that means. If the chain has developed enough slop, it could jump a tooth or two. Timing chains were once a maintenance item; now many cars have gone to belts (critical to maintain) and the chains last longer, but nothing is forever.
But this is just a wild guess.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Rocketman thanks for responding. I am ahead you. That was my project yesterday. I doubled check all of the sensors and inspected the the coils and plugs. I found my leak. The leak was coming from the valve cover and got into one the ignition coil tubes. The tube was flooded with oil. All of the spark plugs were bad. So today I will reseal the valve cover and replace the plugs and coils. Hopefully this was the root cause of all the other codes. I will keep you posted. Wish me luck!
Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

You might be able to salvage the coil. Being cheap, I'd try to, but I haven't seen yours. Simple Green....
Had a Volvo 850 for quite a while. The distributor (yes--it was a '96) was on the end of the one camshaft, and the seals were prone to leaking. Once had symptoms much like you describe--almost died on me pulling out of Costco, then ran fine after a few minutes. Then a no-start. Oil-coated distributors don't distribute! I should've remembered that when you described this problem.
Good luck!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Reason650
Rocketman thanks for responding. I am ahead you. That was my project yesterday. I doubled check all of the sensors and inspected the the coils and plugs. I found my leak. The leak was coming from the valve cover and got into one the ignition coil tubes. The tube was flooded with oil. All of the spark plugs were bad. So today I will reseal the valve cover and replace the plugs and coils. Hopefully this was the root cause of all the other codes. I will keep you posted. Wish me luck!
hey did that stop your problem im having the same trouble with my 2011 audi a4