A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Changing air filter/resetting service due indicator

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing air filter/resetting service due indicator

Thanks again for all the help regarding removing the engine cover and changing the oil filter on my 2009 A4 Avant. It went exactly as described.

I still cannot access the data files on the Bentley service DVD because I have not yet located a Windows XP install disk. As I mentioned in the last post, I have only Max OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7, neither of which are supported by the shoddy Bentley software.

I would like to change the air filter and would appreciate guidance. I believe I have located the air filter housing on the front passenger side of the engine compartment, but it looks like a few small things may have to be removed to access it.

Also, I have not be able to reset the service due indicator on the onboard computer. The MMI allowed me to reset the countdown for the next oil change, but I am still getting the "Service Due!" message every time I start the car. (The check engine light is not illuminated.) I plugged in my four-year-old OBD II code reader yesterday and thought I might be able to reset the service due indicator, but no luck. Do I need a newer/better OBD II code reader? If so, suggestions? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here is what you can do

I also ended up doing all my own services, so I did the follwing :

1) first I got all Service and Workshop manuals from ErWin. Much cheaper than Bentley Publishers, and you get them as pdf:s.

2) next I got all tool needed for the services from the internet. I used http://www.samstagsales.com/ to purchase most of mine.

3) I also got a VCDS cable so that I can access all fault codes, measurment blocks etc. You really need this if you want to do your own services.

In my opinion, the absolutely best place to get information about your car is ErWin. Can't beat that website.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In order to access all of the torx screws to remove the top of the airbox and change the filter, you have to disconnect the large inlet hose that attaches to it on the right. Unscrew the clamp until it's loose enough to pry the hose off, then loosen the 6 torx screws holding it in place. The filter is simple to remove and replace. Just did mine on Friday, along with the cabin filter.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the replies.

Blake, what do you use on your windows? The shine is amazing.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John Smith 787
Thanks for the replies.

Blake, what do you use on your windows? The shine is amazing.
I assume you're talking about my signature image... The car had just been detailed before that photoshoot and I'm not sure what was used on the glass, but in general I like Adam's Glass Cleaner, followed by Adam's Glass Sealant. If you want something that you can pick up locally, I like Invisible Glass and they also make a sealant (Rain Repellent), though I've never tried it.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default cost?

Originally Posted by hankoman
I also ended up doing all my own services, so I did the follwing :

1) first I got all Service and Workshop manuals from ErWin. Much cheaper than Bentley Publishers, and you get them as pdf:s.

2) next I got all tool needed for the services from the internet. I used http://www.samstagsales.com/ to purchase most of mine.

3) I also got a VCDS cable so that I can access all fault codes, measurment blocks etc. You really need this if you want to do your own services.

In my opinion, the absolutely best place to get information about your car is ErWin. Can't beat that website.
What was the cost, and did you get enabled to reset service indicator?

I can't get all the way in to ErWin, not having a PC. Its not set up for Mac.

Last edited by johnny ro; 05-08-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tools were all appr 600$, BUT ... you don't have to get all these tools, and you can buy cheaper version of the oil extractor. I did view mine more as an investment, as we are buying my grlsfriend an Audi or a VW as well. And my next car will hopefully be a future A4 with the TT 2.5 TFSI engine ...

To this you need to add the cost for a VCDS, and with that one you can perform a full reset of the service indicator.