A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Cut off my legs and call me shorty. . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Cut off my legs and call me shorty. . .

. . .but I got the call today, picked up the new A4.

2.0T (Tip of course), Prestige
Ibis White
Cardamom Leather (sport seats) w/wood
19" sport package
Audi Drive Select
Navigation w/camera and voice control
Power rear window shade
Audi prepaid service
Audi Acessory chrome tail pipe tips

It had 15 miles on it when I picked it up after emptying out the outgoing 2005 A6 3.2 quattro (similarly equipped -- based on what was offered "at the time.")

So, I drove in in the newest A6 (at the time) and drove out in the newest A4 (with almost everything on it -- no rear airbags and no ACC.)

I had driven an S5, an A5 (3.2, of course), an A4 3.2 Prestige and two stripped A4 2.0T's previously.

This is either Audi 28 or 29 (I think (99%) it is #29, since I am including those my wife has had in the list.)

Impressions (subject to change since as I type this it has had 60 miles added to the tally most of them with four people in the car):

Best factory sound system in any car I have ever had and can ever recall (best FACTORY system, not best system -- but it is close to the best system PERIOD.)

Excellent, "top of class" front seats (sport package includes sport seats.) Wish you could order this separately, but you can't.

The sport steering wheel with the paddle shifters is a joy to hold in your hand -- and this is also the time to mention the upgraded shift program for the Tiptronic -- there is virtually NO delay when you flick the down or up-shift paddle (even my 2005 A6 in tip mode didn't shift at all this quick.) If this is what they can do with a Tip, it makes me wonder what the DSG would be like.

Speaking of "virtually instantaneous," there is virtually no turbo lag this time around -- the response to the throttle even in "COMFORT" mode (the least performance oriented option offered by Audi Drive Select) is confidence inspiring -- you never have to wonder, "will it spool up now or later?" It certainly seems to be "now."

Talk about a smooth engine (uh, smooth, quiet and, thus far, vibration free), even our third (and last) 225HP 1.8T TT, which was smoooooth, was nowhere near the teflon smoothness of this engine.

The entire experience seems designed to keep you from being able to tell you are anything more than "barely moving" even though when you look down you find yourself going 60 when you're sure you're probably doing 35.

For the first five minutes I thought the thing, which was set to Auto Mode (ADS) was "twitchy" -- I mean, I just THOUGHT about turning and the thing had made a 90 degree turn without any fuss or protest.

After I got used to this level of precision, I was able to just flat out enjoy the most nimble Audi I have ever had. My wife used to feel her third TT was "****," but the new A4 makes her TT seem tenuous by comparison.

Wow 255 x 35 x 19" MAX performance tires/wheels really fill out the wheel wells nicely and must certainly contribute to the feeling I could carve beef roast with this thing.

The ADS between Comfort and Dynamic is very easy to "feel." I kept it on Comfort once we hit the interstate, but most of the time I left it on Auto -- but the combination of the low profile tires and the sport springs does make for a firm (not harsh, not jittery) controlled ride. For long interstate jaunts, I'd go comfort as long as the speed was 80MPH or less -- but I'm 57, so that might be my butt talking.

The Audi Side assist works!

The mirrors, by the way, are HUGE (at least compared to my '05 A6.) I like HUGE MIRRORS.

The turn signal indicators in the mirrors are a welcome addtion.

Power is NOT an issue, nor is an ability to easily get up to 80+MPH "like it is nuttin'."

ONE SMALL thing that I wish could be changed: the sound of the engine under part throttle in a high gear (some strain, i.e.) -- it doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't sound as sweet as the 3.2 or the 4.2; in fact, sweet is not a description I would even remotely ascribe to the 2.0T. Under a bit of a heavy take off from a dead stop, the engine sounds "good."

It does, however, perform much better (than it sounds), so there is some consolation in that. Frankly, I can't see the need for the 3.2 -- if I wanted the hot one, I would wait for the S4.

The 2.0T, even this green, seems like a gas sipper -- more later on this subject.

They would NOT give me (even for MONEY) heated rear seats, red leather interior or even the dark wood inlays.

But, the almond color with the Beige (the color combo specified in the brochure), looks fine; and, the Audi interior decorators, as usual did a first class job.

This is a 2005 A6 interior "near twin" -- which is to say, it is a class leader (again.)

Rear seat leg room is an improvement, it is, however, NOT QUITE what I had assumed it would be what with the extra wheelbase inches.

Being in the car, driving, after dark, you would be hard pressed to identify this A4 as an A4 or an A6 -- it could be either. And, remember, I just spent 60,000 miles in a C6 A6 and the new B8 A4 seems "about the same" from my perch behind the steering wheel.

I will wait for a few hundred miles before I floor it and hold it -- but I am anticipating ample acceleration and "acceptable" sounds.

This is a very nice car -- congratulations Audi, well done.

I do think, however, it is quite possibly overpriced -- for most "non car guys," the Infiniti G35 or G37X and MAYBE even the 280HP VW CC V6 with the technology package, would be attractive and thousands less.

Mine was, something like $49,200 (including the Audi Advantage which was $650.)

The good news, it is a great car, probably able to better its Japanese (and other European) rivals, and the price ought to assure some level of exclusivity (if that is important to you.)

Nothing is perfect and this thing, ordered in late March, took WAY too long to come in -- but, thus far, it was worth the wait.

And, those 19" wheels sure are purty.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please please, send us some pics of the sport package and wood trim.

You just picked up my dream combination. Luxury on the inside, sport on the outside. I love the light wood, it's so modern, elegant, and artistic. You can get dark wood on a bazillion cars out there, but you can't get the light. You get an A+ for your choice! Enjoy those big mirrors in good health!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks, but PICTURES!

great write-up.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sounds like a great car, congrats!

Can't wait to see some pics!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great initial review! I'm salivating for pics. Your car was $49k out the door? Or before taxes/fees?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default NIce initial review

Share similar findings as yours with respect to the automatic transmission (no paddles on the one I drive though), smoothness of the engine and it does sound like it's running out of steam up high.

You should jam on the brake hard... they're pretty darn good also.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Enjoy it Mark you deserve it...................

after that super long wait finally it is in your hands. I agree with you 100% ..Audi a job well done!!!! I also agree a bit expensive but we have been down that road before and if I take and compare to by 2006 A4 and how it is equipped by 2009 is actually less $$.
A great car to own, drive and enjoy.
Way to go, very nice report.
We need to see some pictures!!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sweet setup - would love to see pics!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PSA: Everyone stop bothering Mark. He's busy outside washing & waxing his car for the camera!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default With the prepaid service, freight, tips and before tax and discount: About $49,200.

The sales manager told me the price he gave me was $5.00 (five, not five hundred) over invoice.

It was $45,000+ on the form before tax and before plate fee (transfer from A6 to A4).

Still seems like a lot compared to my 2005 A6 which was about $53,200 and was discounted about $6,000 back in June of '05.

Frankly, I actually looked VERY closely at a 2008 A6 3.2 quattro and the deals that are offered on them ($1,000 under invoice right out of the gate) just in case the A6 was too good to pass up (they even had one in Ibis White.)

But the driving experience between the new A4 as I have it equipped and the '08 A6 is not even close: both are nice, I could live with either one BUT the A4 is a sport luxury car, the A6 is a luxury car with sporting "overtones."

I could live happily with either -- but, hell, check this out (my garage for the past 15 years -- insofar as Audis are concerned):

1993 80 Sport Q (5 cylinder) stick shift
1994 80 Sport Q (5 cylinder) stick shift
1995 S6 5 cylinder turbo manual transmission
1996 A4 2.8 manual transmission
1997 A8 4.2
1998 A4 2.8 (high horsepower w/stick shift, too)
1999 A6 2.8
2000 A6 4.2 + 2000 180HP TT
2001 A6 4.2 sport pckg equipped + 2001 225HP TT
2003 allroad 2.7T 6speed manual + 3003 225HP TT
2005 A6 3.2
2009 A4 2.0T w/19" sport pckg

I just thought it would be "prudent" to stop (at least for once) buying the old farts Audis (not counting that S6, of course.)

But, be that as it may, the 2008 leftover (well, sorta) A6 3.2s are very good deals and very nice cars.

Quick Reply: Cut off my legs and call me shorty. . .