A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragsg
I forgot - I am putting in my 5th (!!!!!) water pump in two years.
I have a 2012 A4 Quatro. Let me first say, I love driving in my car. It's the most fun car I've ever owned from a driving perspective and I've kept it in fairly good shape. The only major repair was a replacement of the turbo fan.

However, I wish I'd found this forum before I bought it. I've owned it for about 4 years. It was a fleet vehicle with one owner prior to my purchase. I had no issues for the first 3 years and have done all services at the dealership. I have put about 25K miles on it per year and in the last year it started needing a "top off" every 2,500 miles, then 1,500, now about 800. I had a water pump go out in April, and had it repaired at a service station by a guy who works on Audi cars. Then 5 months later it happened again. They replaced for free, but told me they wouldn't replace it for free again, because it is caused by oil seepage getting to the water pump. I had the Audi dealer give me an opinion, but they wanted to do an oil consumption test for $600 and then said it was likely rings/pistons and that job would cost $7,000.
The car has 153K miles on it. It's probably worth less than $3K at retail and while I love driving it, I can't see putting the money into it. I can't keep getting a top off every 800 miles, because I'll likely break another water pump in a few months. Any suggestions?
Old 11-03-2019, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Not sure how the consumption and the leak supposedly impacting the water pump are related. If oil is leaking from above the water pump, is it the cylinder head gasket (to the block) or the cylinder head cover gasket or maybe the edge of the PCV unit on the head? Oil leaks breaking these plastic water pumps is a known concern, if you have an oil leak. You could try one of the metal water pumps that have come out for the engine. But I'd be more curious about where is this oil coming from.

Your oil consumption is most likely due to the rings/pistons issue, and that's just consuming oil through the cylinders and combustion process. I assume there's no visible sign of oil leakage on the exterior of the engine anywhere? Rear main is not leaking? You should replace the PCV unit if it's not been done so in quite some time. It is possible for the various valves in it to become stuck and the unit to suck oily crank fumes more than intended to the intake track (where the PCV dumps the oily vapors minus the oil it can separate out). If it's broken, it can also subject the crankcase to excessive vacuum/pressure and cause problems for the various seals.

Be careful with the PCV screws. They are self-tapping, so reuse them in the same spot they came from and torque spec is 11Nm. Don't go past that. There's also a specific torque order, and I would do it in stages up to 11Nm though the manual doesn't dictate that. I've already had to heli-coil two of the screw holes.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks SMac770.
I think the mechanic said it had a small bit of oil leaking from the top of the engine and the plastic engine cover prevents it from being visible. He also said the fuel pump has a minor leak that further complicates it. He recommended replacing gaskets and fuel pump for about $3,000. I'm tempted, but a bit afraid. If I do that, and replace the PVC unit, I assume I'm OK to continue to drive, but might still have the oil consumption issue. The dealership still provides fee "top off", so I can deal with that, but what a hassle going every 800 miles. Maybe I don't have the piston/rings issue at all and it's the leak that's my problem. It'll be an expensive experiment if I do try it. Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Here is what I would do, you have a lot of miles on your car, and realize its value and the cost of the "iffy" repairs.
I would just keep adding oil as needed and don't worry about any oil leaks or the fuel pump.
Replacing gaskets and a fuel pump does not cost $3,000.

You may get another 100K out of the car, use a heavier weight of oil, it may help with oil consumption. Just keep checking your oil level, I would be sure to get a dipstick
to replace the plug that is there. Lots of info on here about that, less than $10 on any website. You do need to be proactive, and good luck with this.

So, to sum things up, just run it, and keep it full of oil...
Old 11-11-2019, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Replacing the HPFP is a simple thing, and not expensive at all (well not too much). I'm about to do the same myself. But I own a wagon. It's worth keeping it running. If you have just a sedan, those are dime a dozen from any manufacturer.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...chi-ina-523138
Should be a 30 minute job max.

As for the "gasket", is he saying it's the cylinder head gasket (would be unusual) or the cylinder head cover gasket? Neither is simple, but $3000? That's a bit overpriced.

Take the plastic cover and leave it in the garage. Car doesn't need it. Pop the hood after a drive and look at the side of the cylinder head. Do you see fresh oil? Clean things up and check it and see if you see oil dirtying it up again.

If you can't find a very clear external leak (qt every 800 miles should be pretty obvious), it's likely rings or PCV. Either way, it's consuming the oil in the combustion process. Eventually, it's going to trash your catalytic converter.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
Replacing the HPFP is a simple thing, and not expensive at all (well not too much). I'm about to do the same myself. But I own a wagon. It's worth keeping it running. If you have just a sedan, those are dime a dozen from any manufacturer.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...chi-ina-523138
Should be a 30 minute job max.

As for the "gasket", is he saying it's the cylinder head gasket (would be unusual) or the cylinder head cover gasket? Neither is simple, but $3000? That's a bit overpriced.

Take the plastic cover and leave it in the garage. Car doesn't need it. Pop the hood after a drive and look at the side of the cylinder head. Do you see fresh oil? Clean things up and check it and see if you see oil dirtying it up again.

If you can't find a very clear external leak (qt every 800 miles should be pretty obvious), it's likely rings or PCV. Either way, it's consuming the oil in the combustion process. Eventually, it's going to trash your catalytic converter.
Only 1 qt.per 800 miles will not break the bank or the cat converter, so just carry on as I mentioned. Mac, if it was the head gasket the engine
would fail and the car dead on the side of the road. This is not rocket science.

Also don't drive your car as if you think you are Mario Andretti.

Last edited by 5000S; 11-11-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

1 qt per 800 miles will be 31 qts a year for him, with all of it going out the exhaust system. That's 2.5x what I'll buy for the same distance, with nearly none of mine going out the exhaust system. That's assuming his consumption doesn't continue to degrade. And when the ignored leak takes out the coolant pump again?

I only look like I'm driving fast because everyone else drives stupidly slow.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Marcelo Gancedo
Write to Audi Germany directly. I live in Argentina and fixed the Oil Comsuption issue on my 2010 2.0T by writing directly to them. One week later I received their answer informing me that Audi Argentina would contact me. They did and required to take the car to a local dealer for the test which I did and they finally changed pistons, rings and connecting rods. I was sencond owner, had skipped three Audi services, and finaly fixed the issue by paying 30% of the total repair costs which it was the same price as the three services I had skipped. They did the repair at the end of 2016 with 54000 kms on the car.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
That's great. How did you write to Audi Germany?
Old 03-29-2020, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes sir my 2012 Avant experienced the same thing. Had the pistons rings and timing chain replaced in September, Audi paid for 50% of total cost
my car only had 45k when it started drinking oil
Old 04-11-2020, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myth0s
Hi skysis, we just bought a used 2012 Audi A4 (115k mileage) and just discovered it has this cursed problem. It burns a quart in 200 miles... that is not a typo... every 200 miles we now have to top it off.

We are about to call the local dealer. We bought it from a non-Audi dealer, so not sure about getting a free repair.

We were foolish to not do more homework on this; we hear of the problem for model years up to 2011, so we too thought it safe to get a 2012. Turns out, some cars were made with the old 2.0 engine in 2012.

Anyone have any advice?

did you ever find out the issue? Having the exact same issue.
The following users liked this post:
backstabber (05-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model