A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Jack and stands

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Jack and stands

Finally bought a jack and stands to change my tyres. Used to use the jack that comes with the car to change the four tyres every six months !

I suppose I have to lift the car where the mark is for the jack, but once the car is lifted where do I put the stand ? I saw on the A5 forum a guy who lifted his car away from the mark and the metal got crushed!

I do not want to put the stand in an area that might get crushed from the weight of the car !

Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I place the stand right next to the jack by the indicated mark. They have to give you some play in order to place stands. I haven't had an issue. Just make sure the frame is under there. Did the A5 guy put it in the middle the car or something??
Old 09-03-2013, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Perhaps you thought about it already, but I recommend to use a protective pad (with a groove) on the "garage type" jack and stands.
I bought jack pads from Protech.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
Finally bought a jack and stands to change my tyres. Used to use the jack that comes with the car to change the four tyres every six months !

I suppose I have to lift the car where the mark is for the jack, but once the car is lifted where do I put the stand ? I saw on the A5 forum a guy who lifted his car away from the mark and the metal got crushed!

I do not want to put the stand in an area that might get crushed from the weight of the car !

Thanks
I use a scissor jack where indicated in the manual and place the stand right next to it under the pinch weld too. The one good thing about a scissor jack is its very thin so its easy to slide the stand right next to it. I never have more than one corner off the ground though, so I actually support the weight with both the jack and the stand. Ive never let all the weight rest on the stand while its under the pinch weld.

Harbor Freight makes jack stand pads with a slit in them specifically for pinch welds, but i didn't think they would fit my stands. i'm guessing they only fit Harbor Freight stands.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...and-95952.html
Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
Perhaps you thought about it already, but I recommend to use a protective pad (with a groove) on the "garage type" jack and stands.
I bought jack pads from Protech.
Bought a hockey puck that I will need to groove !
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audiSfour
I use a scissor jack where indicated in the manual and place the stand right next to it under the pinch weld too. The one good thing about a scissor jack is its very thin so its easy to slide the stand right next to it. I never have more than one corner off the ground though, so I actually support the weight with both the jack and the stand. Ive never let all the weight rest on the stand while its under the pinch weld.

Harbor Freight makes jack stand pads with a slit in them specifically for pinch welds, but i didn't think they would fit my stands. i'm guessing they only fit Harbor Freight stands.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...and-95952.html
I bought a large 3 ton jack:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I do not think I will be able to fit the stand next to it, but maybe it will, if not, I would need to find another place than the recommended one to lift the car and then install the stand in the recommended spot...

Last edited by Turbo Freak; 09-03-2013 at 03:57 PM.