A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Leasing VS. Purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leasing VS. Purchasing?

I have never leased before, though I am thinking about it based on some of the recent threads and articles I have read about reliability issues. I know nothing about leasing and am really bad with numbers, and hope that someone can provide some insight.

I have already negotiated invoice. If you factor in depreciation after 3 years, using the standard lease deal available through Audi's website, will leasing be a lot more expensive after 3-yrs then purchasing?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fredlikes
I have never leased before, though I am thinking about it based on some of the recent threads and articles I have read about reliability issues. I know nothing about leasing and am really bad with numbers, and hope that someone can provide some insight.

I have already negotiated invoice. If you factor in depreciation after 3 years, using the standard lease deal available through Audi's website, will leasing be a lot more expensive after 3-yrs then purchasing?

Thanks.
It's pretty hard to make a direct comparison on costs because with leasing you only have the car for a short time while owning means you have the car for a long time
Here's the easiest way to compare the two:
Leasing is good if you want a nicer car that you would not normally be able to afford. Want a newer car more often. Have less money to put down.
Leasing is bad if you do not take care of your car, drive a lot of miles, or want some equity in a few years.
Buying a car is less affordable initially, but you gain equity over time. It's also better if you drive a lot of miles.
Personally, I find leasing attractive because I am a car nut and it gets me into having a nice, newer car more often.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When you said:

"Leasing is bad if you do not take care of your car, "

What do you mean by not taking care of it? I change my oil and do the other regular maintenance. My current 4-yr old car has some nicks and scratches on both bumpers. What would happen after my lease period if I turned in my car with the nicks and scratches on my bumpers?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When you said:

What do you mean by not taking care of it? I change my oil and do the other regular maintenance. My current 4-yr old car has some nicks and scratches on both bumpers. What would happen after my lease period if I turned in my car with the nicks and scratches on my bumpers?

Thanks.
I think that this depends on the contract that you have signed for your lease, perhaps they will charge you the repair, perhaps the contract allows you to have a minimum damage to the car that will be free of charge, etc.
Everything depends on the contract small letters
Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you said:

Thanks.
Some people trash their cars or don't drive well. Larger scratches, wheel rashes, larger dings or dents, stains inside, leather tears, etc. A dealer could hit one up with extra charges when turning it in.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Too many variables to provide meaningful advice to you here (loan terms, use savings, lease money factor/loan interest rate, term, anticipated annual mileage, down pymt/cap reduction, lease fees, cap cost, depreciation, lease gap insurance, lease/loan requirements, early termination and on and on).

There are a gazillion auto lease vs, buy articles and calculators out there on the web. Everyone's situation will be different. Best bet is to Google away.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-27-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks.
Leasing is never a finacial sound decision.... but neither is buying a new car every 3 to 5 years.

I think, depedning on the terms and your driving habits, leasing may be the lesser of two evils given the proper terms.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

it's my suspicion that leasing is what drives car companies like Audi to build less reliable cars, because what's the point in building something to last if no one ever keeps a car long enough to appreciate built in durability?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PUMA4KICKS
it's my suspicion that leasing is what drives car companies like Audi to build less reliable cars, because what's the point in building something to last if no one ever keeps a car long enough to appreciate built in durability?
Huh?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Huh?
+1

Quick Reply: Leasing VS. Purchasing?