A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

LONG Product Review/Comparison: Prorack Whispbar (roof rack cross bars + feet)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to comment after such a great write up. I'm looking to get a rack set-up. I was for sure going aero bars, but now I'm not sure. So thanks a lot for making another decision harder to make (smiley face thing here).

But seriously, you're comments and posts are always among the most helpful.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah. I'm sold where can we buy them? I saw a few places in New Zealand and Australia.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the write-up. Will definitely consider down the road if we decide to put a roof rack on the A4.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmwrt
Ben,
Ok I'm sold on these racks. How can I get them and how much would cost to ship to US?
Thanks
Alex
Those of you in the UK already have retailers available (roofbox.co.uk), but they won't ship to the U.S. (I already asked). I still don't see any North American retailers listed on the Prorack Whispbar website. [EDIT: Prorack's U.S. retailer, Rack Attack, can be contacted at portland@rackattack.com.]

Shipping of course varies by location (country, zip code, etc.) and speed. I think the standard freight charge was around $100 for the 3-day service I received, but more affordable options may be available if you're not in a hurry. Once Prorack establishes a relationship with a US retailer, this will become a non-issue.

Originally Posted by Crazy Harry
This is a great write-up with a lot of good information! Did you feel there are any drawbacks of not having the flange on the outside of the roof rail?
I "feel" like the outer flange obviously adds additional stability and security, but I didn't notice any difference in bar or roofbox movement with either the Audi or Whispbar products. I rocked them back and forth and side to side, and each felt equally solid to me. As long as you stay within the 75 kg load limit, I imagine you should be fine.

Originally Posted by AvantMore
But seriously, you're comments and posts are always among the most helpful.
Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment (it encourages me to take the time to continue posting other long reviews, photo-journal type threads, etc.). I'm glad some of you are finding this particular thread useful. You're all very welcome!

Last edited by BMWBig6; 01-12-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
I still don't see any North American retailers listed on the Prorack Whispbar website. So I would suggest ordering them from Prorack directly like I did. They have a contact form on their website, which is how I got my foot in the door. Or you can try to deal directly with the sales associate who handled my transaction (and was very helpful throughout the process). Her email is: Anna.Davey@hubco.co.nz
Whispbar does have a US website and according to it does sell through two B&M rackattack locations in the states. The US prices are, however, about $80 more than the converted NZ prices, although much of that would probably be offset by shipping.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by krick
Whispbar does have a US website and according to it does sell through two B&M rackattack locations in the states. The US prices are, however, about $80 more than the converted NZ prices, although much of that would probably be offset by shipping.
Yeah, I just learned this myself too. Prorack now has a U.S.-facing website at http://www.whispbar.com and an authorized retailer here in the States too (which you already discovered). You should be able to buy Prorack Whispbar products from Rack Attack and avoid the hassle of international shipping (and customer support claims).
Rack Attack Portland
1737 SW Morrison Street
Portland, OR, 97205
Tel: 503.226.7300

Last edited by BMWBig6; 01-12-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BMWbig6 you are the man! Thanks for your beautiful write up and all the work you have done. I just ordered a set of S5 from Rack Attack by calling them. I am definately looking forward to testing them myself.

Last edited by vtheman; 01-28-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by vtheman
BMWbig6 you are the man! Thanks to your beautiful write up and all the work you have done. I just ordered my set of S5 from Rack Attack by calling them. I definately looking forward to testing them myself.
You're welcome! Don't forget to use the gray foam inserts (like I did).
Old 01-30-2010, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Foam inserts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
You're welcome! Don't forget to use the gray foam inserts (like I did).
i just got the Whisbars from rack attack and put on my '09 Avant. They didnt come with the foam inserts so i used you scotch tape trick. They are as advertised, silent at 60MPH (haven't gotten a chance to go faster yet) and the Thule Flat Top universal ski rack fits on them no problem. I will also use a Thule Bike carrier but havent gotten that yet. Thanks fot the review and the tape idea.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Cards
Thanks fot the review and the tape idea.
Cool. The tape idea was a cheap fix, but contact Whispbar, they should send you the missing foam inserts for free.

Quick Reply: LONG Product Review/Comparison: Prorack Whispbar (roof rack cross bars + feet)