A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Manual transmission for the Avant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a Avant 2.0T quattro S-line 6MT with precisely the options I want as opposed to buying a car with certain packs of options.

If I was in the US then I'd have left the Audi brand (despite having them for the last 10 years).

I feel for you guys with your really limited choices .... at the same time gas and cars (in general) are so much cheaper over there that I guess it balances out. We can't all have the best of everything.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the ridiculous posts stating personal preferences as facts ("The auto transmission can never ever come close to offering the same fun as the manual"), I wish people would cut this silliness out already. If that is your opinion, you're welcome to it, but don't go off on how people either have to agree with you or else they're stupid.

Did I miss something?

I realize people are sharing their personal preferences and experiences (which is part of what I look for in this forum); but where did you read where someone said they need to agree or else they are stupid?

Last edited by Loafer123; 11-16-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as production goes, I can imagine that even if Audi offered a 6 speed Avant in the US, you wonder how many would be actually sold.

Maybe 300-400 a year? If that.

People want what they can't have. If the Avant came in a 6 speed, 1/2 the people that say they want one would probably find some excuse not to buy it.

So out of 100,000 cars sold in the US, you can't worry about making 300 people happy with a 6 speed Avant.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Loafer123
As for the ridiculous posts stating personal preferences as facts ("The auto transmission can never ever come close to offering the same fun as the manual"), I wish people would cut this silliness out already. If that is your opinion, you're welcome to it, but don't go off on how people either have to agree with you or else they're stupid.

Did I miss something?

I realize people are sharing their personal preferences and experiences (which is part of what I look for in this forum); but where did you read where someone said they need to agree or else they are stupid?
Right here (last line in particular):

"Dream on. The auto transmission can never ever come close to offering the same fun as the manual. We can go on an on how an 8-speed auto can give you a better MPG or that it's better in stop and go traffic, and that it can switch faster, and that you can keep your undivided attention at the traffic, and that the F1 cars have push buttons to change gears and all that. We can do that if it will make you feel better that the Avant is not available with a manual in the US."
Old 11-16-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's damn near impossible these days to walk into an Audi dealer and find exactly what you want. My local dealer tends to stock only what they know they can sell quickly and the options and colors are so limited it's jut not funny. I know it's a business and they do what they need to do to survive but if you have to place an order for the car in the end, why not include the transmission choice as an option.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
As far as production goes, I can imagine that even if Audi offered a 6 speed Avant in the US, you wonder how many would be actually sold.

Maybe 300-400 a year? If that.
Does Audi publish production figures (either for North America or globally), that would show how many A4 sedans vs Avants, as well as other configurations (auto vs. stick, etc.) or would that amount to trade secrets?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like a lot of people really want a B8 Avant w/ an MT6. Obviously that is not available. I've read other posts of people swapping in MT's on older A4's. Has anyone seen a report of this being done on the B8's? I searched but couldn't find anything....
Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If Only - I would buy one

Hello AudiWorld!
This is my very first post, so from California, I want to let you all know that after owning 5 BMWs in my lifetime, after driving to see my antiquarian parents in Colorado in a BMW 530i that failed in so many ways on a winter trip, I will not bore you all, I jumped on a 2011 A4 with manual and 18" sports package that jumped up at Audi Monterey, one owner and all. I am enthralled, I love it.
One of my BMWs and my son is still driving it with 240,000 miles is an 2002 325 wagon with a MANUAL trans, I ordered from BMW and was delivered to the dealer, the best car I have owned. I think it's one of maybe ten in the US. I love wagons, and I think you can get the A4 Avant in Europe with a manual, and it may be worth it to bring one back.
So I am now a BMW defector and love my A4, but I do not think Audi will offer the Avant in manual here- I think in fact you will not be able to get the new A3 in manual here, either. I was told that at the CES show, and the people in the booth seemed resigned to the fact that US drivers are just not that interested in manuals. Of course, they were younger than myself.
Best,
g