A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Moving from a B6 S4 to a B8 A4 Avant (Long Rant, Apologies in Advance)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from a B6 S4 to a B8 A4 Avant (Long Rant, Apologies in Advance)

I think I may do it.

I've been spending a few weeks lurking on your message boards, trying to get a good feel for the B8 A4. I'm having a hard time deciding, and I think I need some group therapy.

I've got a B6 S4. I guess I drive quickly at times, but usually don't drive too far above 80, the unofficial california speed limit, for very long. When I row through the gears, I usually do so at 3/4 of full throttle, or something like that, which gives me a not so entertaining 9mpg average driving in SF. Although I did do half a tank in 40 city miles recently. I am old enough to sometimes think driving a manual S4 is the best thing ever, but stay out of trouble, and sometimes I think its such a freaking pain in the ***. I've recently picked up a second dog and need more trunk space.

The S4 Avant would be perfect for me, but you all know the sob story there.

I've taken two short test drives in B8s 2.0Ts (I really don't see the point of the 3.2 anymore with all that torque in the 2.0). One was a sport sedan and one was a non sport avant. Running up to 80 is fast enough for me, but the transmission doesn't hold gears even in sport mode -- if you drop a gear and floor it, sometimes it'll drop a second gear. The ride was right between cushy and the jarring of my slightly worn in S4, and only slightly annoying to the girlfriend, which is better than what she says about driving anywhere in the B6.

Here's why I don't drive a Lotus: I spend half my winter up in Tahoe, making a 500m round trip almost every week. Gas payments, esp with the roof rack on top loaded with skis and snowboards, dips in the S4 to 17mpg, which is about $450-600 in gas a month, factoring in driving in snow, about the same as my payments. (More reasons why a turbo engine would be nice, and why I'd love to just throw the skis in the trunk and keep the drag coef low.)

For space, the avant is my only choice, and of course, having driven a thirsy, nose heavy v8 for awhile, I want the new chassis, weight distro and 40/60. The design is also a lot of the decision for me. As is the sunroof. Oh lordy I almost want to sit in the backseat and sunbathe instead of driving.

The little B6 things I will miss: Headlight spray nozzles do a good job of cleaning off slush and improving visibility on storm drives, and the little drawers under the front seats. I will not miss my clunking suspension, rattles the car has developed in 40k miles. I will not miss trying to fit chains in those wheel wells already filled with frozen snow and sand. I will not miss the lack of ground clearance.

Maybe most of all, I will miss the handbrake. You guys hanging out in the big parking lot filled with powder know what I'm talking about.

I've been working with the internet manager at Rector Audi, because I hate Royal Motors in SF, and the service department at Rector has done me right. So has the sales department, apparently.

I met this guy jack a month ago turing my first test drive. We spent a good two hours talking about all sorts of cars we've driven. A month later, after keeping in touch over email, I go in. I say, man, I'm scared to buy a new car in this economy. He says, I can do a few hundred over invoice, which seems great in a major metropolitan area. So I've got a quote on a premium plus, nav, meteor grey avant with sport which I can order now. I also found out the ordering system has a Nav option with both iphone and ipod versions. Weird. If I order it now, I get it in about 3 months, just in time to sell the goddamn B6 which I realize from my trade in estimate that I am virtually upside down on. $17k was the offer! I owe $20K!

With nothing down but the necessary deposit, destination or whatever, I'd be getting a lease for 36 months, 10k miles a year because I work from home, and 1/4 point over their cost of funds. That's about just under $41k for the car, down from 43, and considering the stock residual, which seems to be bad on avants compared to sedans, and money factor I was quoted, the lease payments would be $650 before tax. I mean, I'm just getting started in my thirties and not 10 years ago I used to spend that on my rent and ride a hybrid called the bicycle/bus. (The S4 was second hand and so I've not had such steep payments.)

I could get a Subie for a lot less, but if you've driven to tahoe, you know a comfortable, quiet car is nice when they shut down the highway for storms or chain control setup for a few hours -- while you're on it -- or when you're driving over those rough patches of 80 over donner pass.

I am wondering if this is a smart move in this economy, but all the inputs seem good on the lease, and this sales guy is amazing to work with. I like the new car, and the transmission is ok, and the tech is great compared to my empty S4, but its pretty hard to drop this much money on something that is slower. I mean, 6.9 zero to sixty is not good. I used to have an integra that did that in college, god bless that piece of crap. I recently drove a used 535xi wagon and that thing gave the S4 a run and its 4100 pounds. But without paddles and without sport, I couldn't bite. I consider it sort of a waste to even consider a 5 series without optioning up to the HUD and night vision but I'm somewhat of a gadget nerd. I mean, come on, night vision, dudes. Anyhow.

So, I'm thinking of this cost of the car, and the lease, and about the fact that if I lose my job *knock on wood* I've got to deal with a car I can't sell and man, its 40k for a station wagon! I mean, I love station wagons, don't get me wrong, but why can't you be under 40k and a bit faster and I swear, if Subaru ever does a luxury brand, with real options, i'll consider it. I also eyed a dealer cash incentivized B7 S4 avant, but I can't deal with that nose weight anymore when I know there's a better way, and knowing how badly the B6s and B7s have depreciated, screw buying one new end of season unless its in the $40s. Man, if the S4 avant with the supercharged 3 liter, was coming stateside, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Although I can't blame audi for not selling these after selling fewer than 250 country wide last year. Poor avants.

So here I am, hung up on little things before I can get my deposit check in.

Instead of working today, I spent 3 hours trying to figure out if I could get a wheel adapter for the current Winter rims and tires for the Avant. I mean, its a recession, and its hard enough to start making payments on a new, super depreciating, slower car, but the extra 1000 on a set of winters is just one more thing bugging me. As is the need for the factory crossbars and other accessories like floormats, cargo nets, etc.

Do I need to get a new car? I don't know!

Gas is not as expensive anymore, and certainly less over a season than even the tax and out the door fees I'd pay on a B8. The S4 is still a blast to drive. Do I really need a bigger trunk? The roof rack I have does a fine job of carrying skis and surfboards and snowboards. I will sleep on it, and I will either drop off a check tomorrow morning or I will not. Maybe I'll come back to this thread and check out the responses if I haven't killed everyone with boredom. But either way, if you're in the bay area I recommend rector. Best almost car buying experience ever and you're talking to a guy who has been thrown out of dealerships for accusing sales people liars (honda, in massachusetts).

Thanks for listening, this **** drives me so crazy, I sometimes wonder if i just think about what car i'm going to get next to not have to think about anything else. I've got OCD tendencies, clearly.

Any other guys who have moved from S4s to B8 A4s? Anyone else pissed off about the lack of S4 Avants? Anyone care to comment on the lease I was offered?

Advice would be appreciated.

I'm going to shut up now. Bye.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 6MT Avant has not been ruled out for 2010.

Don't take a loss on the S4. Simply not smart. Take a look at the S-Line package id you want something that looks a bit different. Don't forget this is the first model year so likely you'll be the guinea pig for problems.

Keep the S4 drive the hell out of it, lighten up on the gas and save some bucks. Put the money you'd spend in your 401K if its not maxed out and if it is, then get a Roth IRA and then get a financial advisor and start making the money work for you.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i hear you on your dilemma, but i would keep the B6

see my post above. the B8 avant has little cargo space and your skis won't fit inside unless your willing to drop a rear seat.

more than that, being upside down sucks when you've taken the depreciation hit. might as well ride it out and enjoy your ride (with roof rack) with smaller monthly payments. this economy surely sucks and things won't improve anytime too soon. dunno what industry you're in, but there are few that will continue strong in the near future.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "the ordering system has a Nav option with both iphone and ipod versions" Huh?

Sorry, don't really have advice for you but it seems like you've covered all the bases and you seem like you're certainly capable of making the best decision for yourself. Just listing all of the considerations (like you did in your post) helps air everything out and ultimately you will gravitate to what's important and disregard your other concerns. Whatever you do, choose the option that you will least regret later.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have you considered an '09 A6 wagon? Bigger inside than the other options, and it gets the 3.0T
Old 10-31-2008, 08:13 AM

Default Re: 6MT Avant has not been ruled out for 2010.

I appreciate everyone's words of advice.

I'm in publishing, and am someone near the top of my game, so I feel comfortable. My cost will actually go down overall, with a new b8 than with the B6 because payments are similar and I'll save on gas and insurance.

And I'm not actually upside down on it, only if you use trade in as a metric. I can still get more than I paid for it, considering its a good condition black on black manual when all the other S4s in the area are either that YELLOW or automatic, or body kitted up. Yeesh for them, yay for me.

I think I'm going to go do it. The numbers checked out on the lease (premium plus with nav, which I forgot to mention above) and I do need the space.

Thanks for listening, all, and I'm glad to be a part of the forum, finally.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default as long as you can swing the payments, the car will be a blast

especially with the sport package. the paddle shifters are a nice touch and the ride may be somewhere similar to the B6 S4. can't wait to see meteor grey pics!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 AM

Default Re: as long as you can swing the payments, the car will be a blast

I just dropped off the check.

The guy was so nice, seriously, I have never had such a pristine buying experience. I cut the check and before handing it over to him, said, I'd be getting my deposit back if any of the following happened during the 3 month wait: the money factors went up a lot (they're strangely going up now), the 2010 S4 avants were announced as coming stateside, or I couldn't sell my car without being upside down.

Oh, btw, confirmed that the winters from my b6 won't fit on the B8. I guess I should sell them now.

BTW LHSA, I have a thing for white wagons, but I also am going to drive this car through a lot of grime so I went with grey. I have pretty much the same config as you, however. I did get a grey interior, because I feel like it looks better dusty, too. I want low maintenance!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default +1 on low maintenance

my car looks like ****e (especially the wheels) due to road grime and brake dust. unfortunately i live in a condo where we aren't permitted to wash our cars, so it doesn't look like things will change any time too soon.

you can see pics of my car a few pages back if you do a search.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Detuned by about 50hp though. I can't think of another car manufacturer that detunes an engine for

a higher model.

Quick Reply: Moving from a B6 S4 to a B8 A4 Avant (Long Rant, Apologies in Advance)