A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 10:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Need Help: How to replace Headlight side marker/parking/corner lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: How to replace Headlight side marker/parking/corner lights?

I need help changing this light bulb out. I've taken the whole headlight off the car but i don't see how you're suppose to replace the bulb.

The amber light on the headlight.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it is an LED, so you cant replace it. I am not 100% sure on that, though.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The amber lamp is not a lamp. It is a light emitting diode (LED). It is a solid state component made of materials that conduct electricity in one direction but not the other. When connected in the proper direction it emits light with a very high efficiency. It is their nature to switch on much faster than a conventional bulb with an incandescent filament. They also have a very long life when compared to the lamps we are all familiar with.

In automotive applications, a socket is more likely to fail than the LED, and the long life of the LED makes the concept of replacing them not necessary during the life of the vehicle.

The LED's are not consistent in color or brightness from piece to piece. During production of the lamp assemblies they are selected to match. This is one reason why LED's in automotive assemblies are not replaced individually. It is also not within the capabilities of automotive workshops to change surface mount components with the reliability required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

The lamp manufacturers and the vehicle manufacturers have decided that service will be done at the complete assembly level for LED lighting products. It is consumer unfriendly because the LED's cost less than a dime each, but the assembly retails for eye popping amounts. My center brake lamp was intermittent, and only needed some soldering but Audi wanted $80 for the part. The headlight LED assembly is even more!

You cannot remove the amber LED's or change them to another type.

You can change the way the LED's behave using VAG COM tools.

This website explains how to do that:

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagComEXLight.html

You should note that FMVSS require amber front side markers, and turning them off would make you non-compliant. Your insurance company might deny a claim where your actions contributed an accident. Not likely, but be aware.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the info, I didnt know if it were a wedge style LED thats in that can be replaced. But the car is still under warranty so i'll have the dealer figure it out. Thank you again.