A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New 2010 vs. Used 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car is untitled then they cannot cpo it. Rules of the game. The car has to have 4 months tick off the warranty clock too before it can CPO'd. If it really is a demo they should have written the car down a bit. Don't expect anything stupid unfortunately. They can always sit on it till there's money back and keep writing it down.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhickey
What type of negotiating power does mileage put on a car?

For example, a used 2010 A4 with 5-6K miles on it versus a comparable new 2010 A4? Assuming all options are the same, how much less would you expect to pay for the used A4 with those miles?
Depends if you buy or lease. And a 2010 with 5-6k miles on it already? I guess it's possible.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
If the car is untitled then they cannot cpo it. Rules of the game. The car has to have 4 months tick off the warranty clock too before it can CPO'd. If it really is a demo they should have written the car down a bit. Don't expect anything stupid unfortunately. They can always sit on it till there's money back and keep writing it down.
The definition of "used car" varies by state. Here in NJ I believe its 1000 miles. Most dealers here are forced to title and then sell their loaners/demos as used. The CPO thing vary by dealer. This car at a local dealer is a prime example: http://www.bellaudi.com/certified-in...seHistory=true

It only has 2 months of use (looks like a buyer's remorse trade in), and less then 3,000 miles yet it is CPOed.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Based on the CarFax report it was titled. After doing some research it looks like the IRS depreciation rate for 2009 is going to be 55 cents per mile. Since I haven't been able to find a solid measuring stick for depreciation per mile, this seems as good enough as any to use in order to calculate a discount. It may just not be worthwhile to purchase a 2010 used car vs. a brand new one.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

After doing some research it looks like the IRS depreciation rate for 2009 is going to be 55 cents per mile. Since I haven't been able to find a solid measuring stick for depreciation per mile, this seems as good enough as any to use in order to calculate a discount.
Thats because there isn't any one measurement for depreciation. I certainly wouldn't go by that dealer's price on that 2010 as one can buy a new one for that price (or even a little less). The closest gauge you are going to find is what the car would sell for wholesale at an auction right now, which can be difficult to get since there aren't too many used 2010s out there. Either way, the price should be well below invoice compared to a new 2010.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought my six month old 2009 Avant (prem +, 18" sports package) pre-owned with 7k miles before 2010s were on dealer lots. The previous owner was in the military and bought it while stationed in Germany. He traded it in on a Cayman S when he returned to the US.

If you can believe it, the car was the only pre-owned Avant within 500 miles of my house. I paid $33k which, at the time, was just $500 over KBB 'Trade-In' price and $9k below original MSRP. This compares to buying a new 2010 for $500 UNDER invoice ($38,500) through Zag.com when one came in but I didn’t have time to wait. At the end of the day I saved $5,500 by buying a barely used car in mint condition with 7k miles. I was very happy with the price given avants are fairly rare. I'm sure I could have haggled them down more but after a certain point I care more about the relationship with the dealer and after sale service than the absolute lowest possible price. I'm sure the dealer still made plenty of cash on the car though.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

NJRoadFan - I beleive you mentioned that cars with 5K miles can be CPOd....tonite, when I asked why the car in question has not been CPOd, one person (not my salesman) said it must be 8 months old. Is it 5K miles AND 8 months old? Or 5K miles OR 8 months old? And it also seems as though this is really very negotiable given the car you linked to from Bell Audi...

Speaking of Bell Audi, do you have any experience with them?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Depends if you buy or lease. And a 2010 with 5-6k miles on it already? I guess it's possible.
My 2010 was delivered to me in August and I just rolled over the 6k mark this week.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Speaking of Bell Audi, do you have any experience with them?
I wasn't very impressed with their sales team at all. I went to look at a CPOed Meteor Gray 2009 Premium Plus with roughly 7000 miles on it back in July. The salesman pulled the car up for a test drive and the interior was FILTHY. Leaves everywhere in the foot wells and the driver's door sill was dirty from people entering/exiting the car. When I went to negotiate price, they wouldn't budge a cent off of their $33,999 price so I walked out, never got a call back from them.

Landed up buying my car from Paul Miller Audi in Parsippany instead. Found the same car except it was Ibis White with Almond Ash wood trim and only 3000 miles, but not CPO. The salespeople were a lot more receptive and were knowledgeable about the product they were selling, they even knew what my 1987 Audi 4000cs quattro was! (my salesman actually owned one) Negotiation over price was pretty tough compared to what I was used to, but they did come down on price. I got it for $31,600 in the end.

If you have any other questions about NNJ Audi dealerships, PM me. I was at a few and some were good, others... ugh.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the info! We would have been willing to travel the distance if we had a good feeling about Bell. It's nice to hear your perspective on that dealer.

When I drove the used 2010 last night there was a nasty scratch on the steering wheel. And they called today to say they wouldn't certify it, claiming it had to be 8 months old to do so. Between that, the significantly inflated price for the used car and another piece of misinformation from that dealer, we decided to pass.

We purchased a new 2010 A4 from someone else more local to us instead today! Our first AUDI! I was pleased with my buying experience at that dealership and I think we did well, $400 below invoice....