A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

problem with ipod 5th generation 80G

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default problem with ipod 5th generation 80G

A friend gave me his castaway ipod 5th-generation 80GB player, but it doesn't work with the MMI system in my 2010 A4. When it's plugged into the ipod connector, the ipod flashes a green arrow and reads "OK to disconnect." I can't view the contents of its hard drive on the MMI screen at all. I tried resetting it. I tried resetting the MMI, too. iTunes says that it has the latest version of the applicable ipod software (v1.3).

The car's MMI system has worked flawlessly with my ipod Touch 3G since the latest update to the Apple iOS (4.1, I think).

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IPod pin-outs in the connector changed a short while back (I want to say 2008-ish). They still sort of work, but not really well. I know this becuase my 2010 Jetta iPod connector does not work with my iPod Touch. My manual states that the connector only works with iPods thru 2008. I had to buy an adapter to get the pin-outs to match. Your local apple store can hook you up with one.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sundowner
IPod pin-outs in the connector changed a short while back (I want to say 2008-ish). They still sort of work, but not really well. I know this becuase my 2010 Jetta iPod connector does not work with my iPod Touch. My manual states that the connector only works with iPods thru 2008. I had to buy an adapter to get the pin-outs to match. Your local apple store can hook you up with one.
In other words, you have a pre-2008 ipod Touch? If that's the case, then our situations are similar, since the ipod I inherited dates from 2006. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sundowner
The only big difference is the power source. All iPods 5th-gen and older supported 5v and 12v charging, the latter being a holdover from the days iPods had firewire interfaces. Starting with the iPhones, Apple dropped the 12v charging support, problem was car interfaces basically never supported 5v charging since 12v was easy to implement. The "revised" adapters support 5v and 12v charging. See: http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml for details.

I have a 80GB 5th gen iPod Video, it works fine in my car. I have the "K" revision AMI cable with blue grommet (my 2009 doesn't have navigation, uses CAN based AMI). Make sure you have the right cable for your car as per this chart: http://www.iamaudi.com/ami-audi-musi...compatability/
Old 09-17-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by perdido34
A friend gave me his castaway ipod 5th-generation 80GB player, but it doesn't work with the MMI system in my 2010 A4. When it's plugged into the ipod connector, the ipod flashes a green arrow and reads "OK to disconnect." I can't view the contents of its hard drive on the MMI screen at all. I tried resetting it. I tried resetting the MMI, too. iTunes says that it has the latest version of the applicable ipod software (v1.3).

The car's MMI system has worked flawlessly with my ipod Touch 3G since the latest update to the Apple iOS (4.1, I think).

Anyone have any suggestions?
There are two AMI cables. One for Audis with Nav and one for non-Nav.

If you have Nav, it's the black grommet cable. If you don't have Nav, blue grommet cable.
If you have a Gen 4, iPod touch or later iPod or any iPhone, all will work if you have the appropriate Nav or non-Nav cable. The USB/Firewire issue is not applicable on AMI with these models.
Depending on the model, all will use either Firewire/USB charging or USB only charging. (The 5G Video iPod can charge with either Firewire or USB but can only sync with USB on your computer). Newest iPod/iPhone models use USB only for charging including the iPod Touch 3G. The AMI is USB only charging.

If you already have the correct cable (if your iPod touch is working correctly, it's likely not a cable problem), you might want to to try and do an erase and restore on your 5G iPod in iTunes (unless you've already tried this).

My 5G works fine on the MMI. I have Nav and the black grommet AMI cable.