A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Retrofit Aux In?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 PM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retrofit Aux In?

I have a 2011 A4 Avant with the standard Concert stereo system (no MMI for me, sadly). I can see the cutout for the aux port in the center console, and I'd love to be able to plug in an auxiliary audio cable there (such as from my iPhone). Can I retrofit an aux audio in port on my system?

Failing that, I do have AMI, and I have the iPod hookup, so I can always control my iPhone from the stereo. But that means my iPhone must be in the glovebox. Bluetooth streaming (A2DP) would be ideal, but I understand that only works with an MMI system. Is that right?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TexasEric's got a great dock extender...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ight=ipod+dock

Looks like if you have AMI, no Aux jack possible. Let us know differently if you find something else out...
Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 AM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Well that's a bummer. But the extender seems like a good idea. Thanks, Cabal_san.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might want to check the xcarlink, its going to be a little expensive but you might be able to do what you want. theres a bunch of info in audizine.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can only have AMI or AUX, not both. A close look at the wiring diagram at the back of the Concert/Symphony radio reveal that the same wires are allocated to both duties. So, if an AMI is installed, the AUX connection has nowhere to plug in - and vice-versa. It is a VCDS coding change to select which one the radio is to expect.
AMI comes with a choice of three cables - Ithing, USB, or AUX (3.5mm stereo jack). Your friendly Audi dealer will sell you whichever ones you don't already have if you want.

If you want it out of the glovebox so you can get access to the device, then the extension idea is probably best, although I am sure that a german safety expert decreed that the location be remote so that drivers aren't tempted to play with their devices while driving.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iflywoe
you might want to check the xcarlink, its going to be a little expensive but you might be able to do what you want. theres a bunch of info in audizine.
I've already got AMI. Wouldn't the XCarLink box interfere with the AMI connection?

Peace,
alk
Old 02-07-2011, 01:48 PM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Wow, I had the page stale for a while before replying. Thanks for the concise response, moonan. I knew there was a USB connection for AMI, but didn't know about the AUX connection. Still, if I'm just going to extend the connection from the glove box to the center console, I may as well go with an "iThing" dock extender.

The tip about safety will be taken under advisement! ;-)

Thanks,
Drew
Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful with the Xcarlink. It looks like adding it will prevent you from having your AMI working as normal. Its a one-or-the-other thing. The good news is that you can use the Xcarlink to hook up your iPhone.