A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

S-Line and ADS question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Line and ADS question

A car with S-Line gets a sport suspension and a car with ADS with the adaptive suspension. If you order both options, is there a difference in the ADS suspension from the non-S-line car?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

If you order ADS you will get the same suspension no matter what other options you pick. So ADS/ADS+sport package/ADS+S-line - all the same suspension.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's what I figured....

Originally Posted by dk1
If you order ADS you will get the same suspension no matter what other options you pick. So ADS/ADS+sport package/ADS+S-line - all the same suspension.
...but I wanted to make sure...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

That does not seem to be the conclusion of Road & Track for they tested a sport suspension A4 and an A4 with ADS and NO sport suspension and they claimed there was a difference.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
That does not seem to be the conclusion of Road & Track for they tested a sport suspension A4 and an A4 with ADS and NO sport suspension and they claimed there was a difference.
As I understand it, the springs on ADS and sport are the same for N/A. In Europe the S-line is another 10mm lower, and likely has a bit higher spring rates as a result.

ADS has adjustable dampers vs. the fixed rate ones on a non-ads suspension.

As I see it -- there are 3 pieces that would alter things here.

1) The wheel size/tires would be an "equivilant" spring rate
The 19" rims on the Prestige sport would be different than the 18" rims w/o the sport pkg.

2) Actual springs -- non-sport gets a lower rate spring than sport or ADS cars. US S-line is same as sport/ADS.

3) Dampers. Non-sport are lower rates than sport (obviously), but ADS can vary from even lower than the non-sport to considerably higher (stiffer) than the sport dampers.

Hope that helped.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by need_TQM
As I understand it, the springs on ADS and sport are the same for N/A. In Europe the S-line is another 10mm lower, and likely has a bit higher spring rates as a result.
European suspension seems to be deliberately confusing.

S-line spec cars come as standard with "Sports Suspension" which is 20mm drop from standard
There's a free option of "S-line suspension" which is 30mm drop from standard but you can't have it with 19" wheels
Old 04-09-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dk1
That is incorrect. You do not get a suspension upgrade when you get ADS. ADS is just adaptive throttle , steering and dampening of suspension.When you get the S-line package , it comes with the sports suspension that you would get when you order the sport package.therefore suspension wise , ADS + sport = to ADS + s-line .ADS with nothing else,will have the original suspension.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigarms
That is incorrect. You do not get a suspension upgrade when you get ADS. ADS is just adaptive throttle , steering and dampening of suspension.When you get the S-line package , it comes with the sports suspension that you would get when you order the sport package.therefore suspension wise , ADS + sport = to ADS + s-line .ADS with nothing else,will have the original suspension.
An Audi of america document "2009 Audi A4 Product Information" dated 5/21/2008 has the following for "Audi Drive Select"

Audi Drive Select system
Includes the following hardware:
Adaptive suspension system
- Variable hydraulic suspension dampers
- Sport suspension springs (20mm lower than normal)
Dynamic steering system
- Variable assist (Servotronic) steering (already standard on A4)
- Variable ratio dynamic steering
Old 04-09-2009, 04:08 PM

that's dated may of 2008 , it's most likely copied from the UK document because they get 20mm lower with sport and 30mm with s-line.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigarms
that's dated may of 2008 , it's most likely copied from the UK document because they get 20mm lower with sport and 30mm with s-line.
Not sure I follow your point -- yes UK and other Euro countries have 20mm and 30mm suspension options, we here in North America don't.

The point I was making in my previous post is that this document (from Audi of America, not from a UK document) states that ADS uses the sport springs, not the std springs.

I've attached the document.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2009_B8-Product-Info-0805.pdf (1.29 MB, 106 views)

Quick Reply: S-Line and ADS question