A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Should I keep or trade my 2016 A4 at 90k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ceriano
do you use suction for oil change?
I do not use suction.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

do you use suction for oil change? I could do the oil change myself every 3k mile and take it in every 10k for regular maintenance
never .. as i use it as an opportunity to inspect underneath and do a general health check .. i have rhino ramps so its easy.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
never .. as i use it as an opportunity to inspect underneath and do a general health check .. i have rhino ramps so its easy.
if suction is not necessary, can I just taking to any mechanic shop for regular oil change and skip the dealership? I have an account with NTB and I can get oil change for under $100 that’s not very far from DIY.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 322 Posts

You don’t need to go to the dealership for oil changes and doing it with an extractor is so easy I’m pretty sure I could teach my 9 year old to do it…. Still great to get it up in a lift but if easy and cheap is your target you can’t beat extraction
Old 04-08-2024, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by silver_tt
You don’t need to go to the dealership for oil changes and doing it with an extractor is so easy I’m pretty sure I could teach my 9 year old to do it…. Still great to get it up in a lift but if easy and cheap is your target you can’t beat extraction
i know there is something funny about the B8 engine . i dont use an extractor but have no details.. a guys got his extractor actually stuck in his engine .

But i think like anything else, once you figure out exactly how deep to go , and you mark it .. it will be the easiest method by far, especially with the filter right there in front of you.

The extractor is great if you are in a condo for example and you are not allowed to work on your car, you can do this easily anywhere.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 322 Posts

agree.... I think I saw that but I don't understand how someone got the extractor stuck in a B8. My good friend owned a shop and told me with Porsche 996 for example people would come in sometimes with the extractor stuck, which I understand given that engine and there isn't a direct path straight to the sump. But the B8 it seems hard to get it stuck although the stuff I read on the internet never ceases to amaze me...

Like you said, I have my extractor marked at how deep it will go and when it gets to the bottom I can hear it gently tapping on the bottom. 10 mins of actual work....
Old 04-08-2024, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by silver_tt
agree.... I think I saw that but I don't understand how someone got the extractor stuck in a B8. My good friend owned a shop and told me with Porsche 996 for example people would come in sometimes with the extractor stuck, which I understand given that engine and there isn't a direct path straight to the sump. But the B8 it seems hard to get it stuck although the stuff I read on the internet never ceases to amaze me...

Like you said, I have my extractor marked at how deep it will go and when it gets to the bottom I can hear it gently tapping on the bottom. 10 mins of actual work....
yeah me neither .. it was on the zine a while ago, i dont use one so i didnt pay much attention , i think it turned into a pretty big deal though. bet he just pushed it to far and jammed it.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up trading the car for a 2023 A4. My car needed new tires, breaks, water pump, serpentine belt, rear socks and timing chain soon. I feel the cost would add up soon.
now the 2023 comes with summer tires so I didn’t save much there. Should I do the oil change at 5k instead of 10k this time?
Congrats on the decision. I'm going through the same process so I appreciate your perspective. How much of this was a math problem and and how much was new car "itch"? It seems to me that the dealer who took your trade would factor in all the expenses you mentioned. On the other hand, I'm sure the '23 has features you didn't have on the '16.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

trading in for a new car will always be more expensive ultimately ,,, but if it is just transportation to you and you like having the newest stuff with no hassles ( life is short) then that is definitely the way to go .
Old 04-17-2024, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rx35285
Congrats on the decision. I'm going through the same process so I appreciate your perspective. How much of this was a math problem and and how much was new car "itch"? It seems to me that the dealer who took your trade would factor in all the expenses you mentioned. On the other hand, I'm sure the '23 has features you didn't have on the '16.
Not a new car itch for sure I liked the 2016 better. Older models are more boxy which I like. The front on the new ones is round. I'm not a huge fan. with the new car you get a lot of new safety features, cameras, apple car play, and full factory warranty etc which is nice to have. Things that I don't like so far, are the small side mirrors, body shape and rattling sound in B&O speakers which is driving me crazy.
I was hoping to get two more years out of my 2016 but given how much I had to put into it it was time to trade it in. The car needed new tires and breaks and probably water pump very soon. That'd be an easy $5K. Dealer quoted me $5k to replace the timing chain and cover, it also needed new rear shocks very soon.
question is would you rather spend $5-6K on the car drive it for another year or two and trade it for $5K down the road, or take $8-9K trade now and put the money towards the new car?

Quick Reply: Should I keep or trade my 2016 A4 at 90k miles?