A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Is this tire okay after puling out small nail

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this tire okay after puling out small nail

I noticed a small nail yesterday while my car was parked in the garage with its front wheel turned towards the left. the nail was found on driver-side front tire. I'm attaching some photos of how it looked before and after pulling it out using pliers.

After I took it out, it's looking like this:

It was about an inch metal nail I suppose as seen in the above photo. Do I need to repace or buy a new tire ? There wasn't any air loss until today. I will see if there's going to be any air loss after taking out today.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,908 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I'd just plug it if you don't have a spare to get it to a shop. But they can patch that and you carry on like nothing has happened. It's when it's within an inch of the sidewall, or an issue with the bead, when they won't touch it. I certainly wouldn't replace the tire for that.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
I'd just plug it if you don't have a spare to get it to a shop. But they can patch that and you carry on like nothing has happened. It's when it's within an inch of the sidewall, or an issue with the bead, when they won't touch it. I certainly wouldn't replace the tire for that.
Thanks.

1. Is the patching something I could do as well if there's any kit available online? I do have a spare tire though.

2. Is it not recommended to drive as it is if I don't see air coming out of it and don't patch it?
Old 02-25-2024, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,908 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I don't know if a real patch job can be "DIY", I've only had it done at a tire shop. Getting a tire off and remounted seems like a bitch of a task.

If you're not losing air, then the tire is holding. Drive away. It sounded like you started to notice air loss. If so, then patch it, certainly don't replace it.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyJ (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Patching a tire can be done from the outside but you risk that the patch will come off.
Proper patching is always done from the inside.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts

it shouldn't cost you more than 20 or 30 bucks at a tire shop , totally repairable. Id plug it, but im cheap lol .
Old 02-26-2024, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
I don't know if a real patch job can be "DIY", I've only had it done at a tire shop. Getting a tire off and remounted seems like a bitch of a task.

If you're not losing air, then the tire is holding. Drive away. It sounded like you started to notice air loss. If so, then patch it, certainly don't replace it.

OK, thanks. I didn't notice any air loss yet (24 hrs after pulling out the piece of nail) so probably going to drive without getting it patched in from the tire shop and see how it goes.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ
Patching a tire can be done from the outside but you risk that the patch will come off.
Proper patching is always done from the inside.
Thank you. I was wondering if patching is even required as I didn't notice air loss after pulling the nail and it's been 24 hrs.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
it shouldn't cost you more than 20 or 30 bucks at a tire shop , totally repairable. Id plug it, but im cheap lol .
Thank you. I was wondering if patching is even required as I didn't notice air loss after pulling the nail and it's been 24 hrs. Not worried about the cost.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack_Tauson_Sr
Thank you. I was wondering if patching is even required as I didn't notice air loss after pulling the nail and it's been 24 hrs. Not worried about the cost.
if not worried about the cost, get it done for piece of mind ... coz murphy's law says if you run over another nail , guess where it will be lol..

Quick Reply: Is this tire okay after puling out small nail