A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

vibration in steering assist

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default vibration in power steering

Lately, I have noticed that when I am slowing down and need to make a quick turn, my power steering shutters or vibrates, as if it is low on fluid. But I am pretty certain that we don't have hydraulic power steering anymore, so I am not sure if what I am experiencing is normal or not.
I have close to 10,000 miles on my '11 Avant so far.

Last edited by archrenov8; 10-22-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this is the same phenomenon, but when I'm in a parking garage with mildly polished concrete I sometimes get 'shudders' in the steering when making hard turns. I assume it is too *much* power assist and the tires are starting to slip a little.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a TSB for A4. I did on my 09 B8 A4. Dealer replaced a 'hose" and fixed the low speed (parking lot or garage speed) shudder problem. My 10 S4 has same problem, but dealer keep saying there's no TSB.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. It seems to be getting more and more prevalent.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

interesting indeed. I remember reading that there was a TSB for this issue in early build cars, but my 5/11 production 2011 model has his issue when steering at low speeds.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2012 model here and I do have the occasional low speed shudder as well. Thought they had figured this out already...
Old 10-23-2011, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I am definitely not alone. I am not familiar with the mechanics of electric power steering. I am wondering- is there still any fluid involved? Is it that an electric motor is pressurizing fluid, rather than an engine-driven belt?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by archrenov8
So I am definitely not alone. I am not familiar with the mechanics of electric power steering. I am wondering- is there still any fluid involved? Is it that an electric motor is pressurizing fluid, rather than an engine-driven belt?
It's still hydraulic, but there's a electric component that dictates how much hydraulic assist to apply based on speed. Not sure how it gets pressurized though.

So my question is: when I feel shudder is it the tires slipping? Or something happening in the hydraulics? Luckily it's still an all mechanical system so a failure of the servotronic wouldn't leave you high and dry.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:20 PM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also been noticing this. I've been trying to think back to when I first became aware of the shudder, and it seems to me that it gradually grew in my consciousness. There was no "whoa, what was that?!" moment. Was it always there and I just didn't notice at first? Hmm.

Is this a problem that degrades or otherwise gets worse over time?

For those who had service under the TSB, what was the remedy?

Peace,
Drew
Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default steering studder

Originally Posted by alk
I've also been noticing this. I've been trying to think back to when I first became aware of the shudder, and it seems to me that it gradually grew in my consciousness. There was no "whoa, what was that?!" moment. Was it always there and I just didn't notice at first? Hmm.

Is this a problem that degrades or otherwise gets worse over time?

For those who had service under the TSB, what was the remedy?

Peace,
Drew
My '09 s-line tip has always had the low speed shudder. It only happens in parking lot situations when I turn the wheel at idle. After 2 and 1/2 years, the shudder has remained the same and "such is life".

Quick Reply: vibration in steering assist