A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Whats the trick - resolving the vibration issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Avant being checked out today...

...got a Q7 as loaner. Big. All the shiny bits. Fun for the day. I'll update what they did later.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick update on my situation:
  1. Dealer confirmed my claim about 60 MPH shimmy/vibration
  2. Dealer re-balanced and indexed tires (I noticed some of them are in different corners) - vibration reduced but still present
  3. Dealer checked road-force values on tires, all are within spec so the tires are fine.
  4. Dealer got permission from Audi to order the new control arms.
Now I wait...
Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Just a quick update on my situation:
  1. Dealer confirmed my claim about 60 MPH shimmy/vibration
  2. Dealer re-balanced and indexed tires (I noticed some of them are in different corners) - vibration reduced but still present
  3. Dealer checked road-force values on tires, all are within spec so the tires are fine.
  4. Dealer got permission from Audi to order the new control arms.
Now I wait...
Has anyone posted a video of what the high speed shimmy/vibration looks and sounds like? I definitely have the issue with vibration with low speed/parking lot maneuvers but that's being addressed by Audi of America. I've gotten a call every month so far on that one from a rep saying they're still working on the issue but all signs point to the steering hose or something.

Anyway, back to my question...if no one has posted something, can somebody having the issue kindly post a video of what the shimmy is like? I don't particularly feel anything all the way up to 95mph...(haven't gone above that yet ). There's a very very mild vibration but that seems to be related to the road surface and goes away on smooth roads. If I let go of the steering wheel it does not visibly shake. Neither my wife or I have noticed the shudder.

I just find it odd that all of you seem to have this problem and I don't. Maybe I got lucky or I just don't notice it?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No video, but I think you'd know it if you had it. It's actually more noticeable on smooth roads. As you evenly accelerate up past 55 MPH the wheel will start to vibrate in your hands and continue to do so until you accelerate past the vibration range (about 57-65 MPH for me).

If you haven't felt it in that scenario you likely don't have it. However, some folks have reported that it didn't show up for them until they had quite a bit of mileage on their car and the control arm bushings presumably wore in a bit.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
No video, but I think you'd know it if you had it. It's actually more noticeable on smooth roads. As you evenly accelerate up past 55 MPH the wheel will start to vibrate in your hands and continue to do so until you accelerate past the vibration range (about 57-65 MPH for me).

If you haven't felt it in that scenario you likely don't have it. However, some folks have reported that it didn't show up for them until they had quite a bit of mileage on their car and the control arm bushings presumably wore in a bit.
True...what's odd is a lot of people are posting (in A5/S5 forum too) that their cars have it when they drive them off the dealer lot!! So that's my hope that if I don't have it yet maybe I won't get it. Who knows. I just need it to not happen for another 2 years...then I'm returning this lease and getting an S4
Old 08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you have to ask, you def don't have the problem. It will be so obvious because your hands will be shaking and if you have any batwings on your arms, they will tremble (LOL).

BTW, my problem didn't start until my bushings began to wear. I was fine for the first 5,000 miles.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, my problem didn't start until my bushings began to wear. I was fine for the first 5,000 miles.
Awwwwwwwww ****. Don't say that... :-) I thought maybe I was going to get by without having this issue..

Last edited by need_TQM; 08-26-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: BTW -- wow! audiworld sensors the s word... :-)
Old 08-26-2009, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by need_TQM
Awwwwwwwww ****. Don't say that... :-) I thought maybe I was going to get by without having this issue..
Tell me about it. When the vibration threads first popped up, I didn't have any issues but subscribed to all of them just in case. What a jinx.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tell me about it. When the vibration threads first popped up, I didn't have any issues but subscribed to all of them just in case. What a jinx.
Unsubscribing in 3...2...1...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
Unsubscribing in 3...2...1...
Ha! He's gone. Now we can talk about him.

Quick Reply: Whats the trick - resolving the vibration issue?