A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

When a dealer has to trade...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When a dealer has to trade...

Greetings,
It is highly likely that my local dealer will have to trade a car from a dealer in a nearby city to get my desired 2010 vehicle. If I understand things correctly, somebody will be driving the new car to get it to my dealership. It may be approximately 300 miles.

Any thoughts on the mileage that will get put on the new car? Any way around this? Anything I should be considering as I complete my deal? The dealer and I have verbally made an agreement that I am satisfied with, but I have not yet made a deposit. Likelihood the car could be transported on a truck? Should the mileage have any bearing on the purchase price? Or is this just the way things are done? Any other options?

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and suggestions.

-plA4keeps
Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe its delivered on a truck via a trailer or flatbed
Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not buy a car that was delivered by a lot boy from any distance. VW machines the engine internal parts only half-way. They depend on you to finish the job following a specified schedule. I would not allow anyone to drive the car at highway speeds for five hours.

I would write in the contract that the car will be recovered, and delivered to the selling dealer on a flat bed truck, or auto carrier trailer.

Unless they are cutting you a deal of $ 2,600. under invoice and waiving the destination charge, I would insist on that delivery.

Don't be afraid to walk away. You can always order the car you want and pick it up at the factory. The savings are enough to pay for the trip to Germany. When you're done mit das Autobahn, the car is delivered to your dealer in a few weeks. The whole process is easy, and you get one made especially for you.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Moviela
I would not buy a car that was delivered by a lot boy from any distance. VW machines the engine internal parts only half-way. They depend on you to finish the job following a specified schedule. I would not allow anyone to drive the car at highway speeds for five hours.

I would write in the contract that the car will be recovered, and delivered to the selling dealer on a flat bed truck, or auto carrier trailer.

Unless they are cutting you a deal of $ 2,600. under invoice and waiving the destination charge, I would insist on that delivery.

Don't be afraid to walk away. You can always order the car you want and pick it up at the factory. The savings are enough to pay for the trip to Germany. When you're done mit das Autobahn, the car is delivered to your dealer in a few weeks. The whole process is easy, and you get one made especially for you.
It's just a car. It's replaceable and insured. I've delivered cars by driving them nearly 200 miles before. That was to a customer's house though not to the dealer but still. People buy cars off the lot with over 300 miles on them. The B7 I'm driving now came from another dealer with miles on it. Was test driven at the store several times. I've put 28k on it in 20 months and it's been FLAWLESS.
It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. IF you're really stressing it speak with your sales rep in a polite way and ask how it's being transported and confirm the method. If you would prefer it trucked ask for it to be done. If a concession needs to be made, you may have to compromise.
You'd be amazed at what a polite and honest conversation will do. And in the end the money shouldn't matter as long as you get what you want.
End rant.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my local dealers was willing to get a car for me from a dealer approx 300 miles away. That dealer had done a trade for the car from another dealer approx 300 miles away.
It seems the dealer where it was at liked to have their cars driven instead of trucked.

It would probably have had over 650/700 miles by the time I took delivery - with *no* discount for the mileage. I decided against it. I ended up waiting for the MY2010 and in the end decided to order an S4 w/ the color & options I wanted.

In the end it's your decision, but I wouldn't do it.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it still possible to tamper with the odometer these days by the dealer to reverse those miles driven by the lot boy?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tubi
Is it still possible to tamper with the odometer these days by the dealer to reverse those miles driven by the lot boy?
Very illegal, I wouldn't think any dealer would do this. Plus with the electronic ODO you have to replace the dash unit and you only have one try to set the new mileage (in my experience). I guess they could replace the dash and punch in 10 miles... but I don't think any dealer will go through that trouble.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd rather have a couple of hundred transport miles on my new car than 50 miles of test drives.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually it isn't a lot boy. Dealers actually pay people (plus gas and insurance) to move cars long distances. Its a popular service with fixed income folks, particularly if they want to go to a specific destination. My 2006 Jetta GLI was shipped up from the Baltimore area like this, I haven't had any issues with it. The dealer did throw in extras because of the added mileage.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
Usually it isn't a lot boy. Dealers actually pay people (plus gas and insurance) to move cars long distances. Its a popular service with fixed income folks, particularly if they want to go to a specific destination. My 2006 Jetta GLI was shipped up from the Baltimore area like this, I haven't had any issues with it. The dealer did throw in extras because of the added mileage.
Yes, it's almost always retired people that drive 50mph. All of my new Audis were dealer trades. Two of them the dealer let me do myself. One of them was flatbeded. My biggest concern was the clutches more then the break in. I didn't want some old guy raping the clutch since he hadn't driven a manual in 20 years.

Depends on the dealer, but usually 200 miles is the limit on trade that will be driven. Just tell them you want it hauled if it's that many miles.

Quick Reply: When a dealer has to trade...